Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Disciple

Re: BOTM, 1/07: Old Grand Dad BIB

Several people have mentioned orange peel. I haven't been getting this, or maybe I have, but not enough of it. I had one pour of OGD BIB tonight (Very good) and then followed it with another, but this time with three drops of orange bitters. Wow! was that good!

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I give Beam Co a huge amount of credit for continuing to make real Old Grand-Dad instead of just putting their standard Beam whiskey in an Old Grand-Dad bottle.

To my taste, the BIB is the best OGD. I think it is easily the best value in Bourbon at $16.99 here (it is only for sale at a few liquor stores though). I like it better than the OGD 114, but that is like apples or oranges. There are arguments for both. The 86 proof version is really only comparable to Evan Williams Black which is always cheaper (still a decent value). Grocery stores only carry the 86 proof version unfortunately. The BIB is much better than the 86 proof swill.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wire View Post
    To my taste ... The BIB is much better than the 86 proof swill.
    Wire, they are the same bourbon. Just a little more water to lower the proof. So, to say "swill" is a little off base.
    Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

Just trying OGD BIB for the first time. I like it a lot. I dont see it much around here. I got the 114 and like it , but I really like this BIB 100. It seems more rounded compared to the 114.

I am finishing a small pour of the 114 now for comparison, but cant wait to get back to the BIB 100.

Advanced Taster

I just bought my first bottle of OGD BIB, thanks to the BOTM. I was pleasantly surprised at the flavorful and clean taste. Just enough burn. It can be sipped neat, and I think it will be great over ice this summer. Thanks for pointing me to this bargain bourbon.

Novice

I also just purchased my first OGD BIB based on the recommendations here. I didn't particularly like it neat; it was a bit too dry and bitter for my taste. But it was very good on the rocks (especially for the price), and I'm sure it will make a great cocktail mixer. It's going in my next Manhattan for sure.