Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants

Novice

Restaurants

Hello Everyone,

I have fortunately acquired a taste for bourbon that has led me towards some bottles that are rather expensive. I do not have a problem paying $100 for a bottle, but i would like to try it first. In most cases this is impossible.

I was wondering if anyone has found restaurants or bars that have an extensive bourbon collection to sample?

I live in LA, but i think this might be an interesting thing to find out for any city.

Thanks guys,
    -m

Guru

Re: Restaurants

Try the finer steak houses in LA (or whatever city you are in)... they seem to have the best selection by the drink.

If you get to Las Vegas, try the Petrossian Bar at the Bellagio (right off the lobby). They have an excellent selection of high-end and (in the case of Hirsch blue wax) some that are not readily available in the market.

Also consider the little single-serving bottles (like you get on the airlines); they're another way to sample some brands without committing big bucks.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

If you are ever through Louisville, Kentucky there is a restaurant here called Bourbon's Bistro that boasts over 100 American Whiskies, the majority of which are Bourbon. There is also a Maker's Mark Lounge here that has a decent selection (Yes they serve other brands ) As well as a "Bourbon" bar at The Galt House hotel.

I have not been to either Bourbon's Bistro or the bar at The Galt House but I have enjoyed many a Bourbon at the Maker's Mark Lounge (they are cigar friendly, too!)

Taster

In newly smokeless Washington DC, your destination is Bourbon, with two locations in the Glover Park and Adams Morgan neighborhoods. Forget the printed list - it's nowhere near complete. Specific bottlings and old versions? They have quite a few, including said Hirsch blue wax.
    Dave

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Go here for Chicago recommendations.

Novice

Thumbs up Re: Restaurants

OK, here you go, the best of ALL possible worlds. Right there in Bardstown KY, just down from the bourbon heritage center, is Old Talbot Tavern. The atmosphere is late 1700's and they have a very well stocked bourbon bar.

We ate lunch there Saturday and they have the best Kentucky Hot Brown I have ever had anywhere - including Louisville and Lexington. Unfortunately the burgoo was awful, but the hot brown alone was worth the drive down there.

I highly recommend it if you're in the area.
    Dave
    Lexington KY

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by UK78ALUM View Post
    OK, here you go, the best of ALL possible worlds. Right there in Bardstown KY, just down from the bourbon heritage center, is Old Talbot Tavern. The atmosphere is late 1700's and they have a very well stocked bourbon bar.

We ate lunch there Saturday and they have the best Kentucky Hot Brown I have ever had anywhere - including Louisville and Lexington. Unfortunately the burgoo was awful, but the hot brown alone was worth the drive down there.

I highly recommend it if you're in the area.
    I would second the recommendation on the Talbot.... very nice selection.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

When I'm in Bardstown.....nothing compares to the selection at the Gazebo. If you can't find it, then your not concentrating.

For bourbon in Houston....go to Ten Downing Street. They also have, as the name might imply, a great whisky selection and some good draft beers.....all to go with that great cigar your smoking.

Randy

Enthusiast

The problem with steakhouses I've come across seem to be that they have a special relationship with Jim Beam. They have Maker's Mark but also Bakers, Knob Creek, Bookers, Jim Beam etc. Typically nothing else. At least that's how it was at Morton's the other day.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Novice

Another place in DC for bourbon is Old Glory BBQ in Georgetown, http://www.oldglorybbq.com. They claim to have 80 bourbons available. And the pulled pork is pretty good, too.