Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

New member - just found the forum

Greetings from the heart of bourbon country. I was fortunate to find this forum as bourbon, golf , cigars and UK sports are always worth discussing!

We spent last Saturday in Bardstown, and toured MM and Jim Beam. My wife is a Booker's fan (I married well! ), so we were partial to the Beam tour. I like it too, but prefer Stagg as my "high octane" choice with Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek as my regular choices. Honorable mention goes to Wathen's (sp?) for an excellent lower cost alternative.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to participate here. I appreciate it!

Connoisseur

Re: New member - just found the forum

Welcome to SB, I am sure you will find lot's of great information here. I envy you your location in the heart of Bourbon country!
    My family thinks I'm nuts of course...they all want to go to Hawaii, or DisneyWorld....me, I want to go to Kentucky! Oh well, it is a trip I shall save for when my kids are gone.
    I look forward to your contributions!

Todd

Taster

Welcome UK, Iam somewhat new here too. Good luck to Tubby and the boys. Will be rooting for them unless they meet Michigan State in the tourney.

MikeR

Guru

Lucky you...sitting in KY. When you took the Beam tour, did they let you barrel sample the Knob Creek? I must admit, I'm not a Knob Creek fan but filling up a glass of Knob Creek right out of the barrel was an exceptional treat. I wish they would bottle cask strength Knob....I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I do like the Wathens, A really nice pour for a reasonable price.

Welcome to SB....

Cheers.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They do bottle cask strength Knob Creek. It's called Booker's.

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    I learn something new all the time. So Cask Strength means it is not diluted? Is that the only difference between Knob and Bookers?

I see where the Beam ad for Bookers says its the only uncut, unfiltered, straight from the barrel conoisseurs sipping bourbon available today, isn't this true of GT Stagg as well?
    Todd

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    Chuck,
    I learn something new all the time. So Cask Strength means it is not diluted? Is that the only difference between Knob and Bookers?

I see where the Beam ad for Bookers says its the only uncut, unfiltered, straight from the barrel conoisseurs sipping bourbon available today, isn't this true of GT Stagg as well?

Of course it is true of Stagg. And the William Larue Weller, too. Don't believe everything that advertisers say in their ads.

Then again, straight from the barrel isn't quite true of any of these, is it? All of these are batch whiskies, not single barrels.

Now, my Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is just that. Or have I fallen for advertising>

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    They do bottle cask strength Knob Creek. It's called Booker's.

I am not quite sure I agree with you Chuck. As foolish of me as that might be since you know so much more about bourbon than I do. But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I am not quite sure I agree with you Chuck. As foolish of me as that might be since you know so much more about bourbon than I do. But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?

Ed
    To further Ed's argument, Bobby once posted that Beam "barrels to brand".
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?Ed
    Isn't it just that they would take the "Knob Creek" out at 6 years, and bottle it with out adding water, and you have Bookers. Leave it in another 3 years, take it out and drop the Proof to 100 by adding water then bottle it and you have Knob Creek.
    At least I think that is what he is saying?
    Todd