Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how many

Advanced Taster

how many

How many open bottles is to many?

Right now I have about 18 to 20 open bottles

WT 101
    RB
    RR 101
    RR90
    VW lot B
    ORVW 15 yr
    OPVW 20
    Weller 12 yr
    Weller Centinial
    GTS
    WLW
    Blantons
    Serazac RYE
    BMH 11 yr
    Bookers
    Knob Creek

I got a more that I am waiting to try but want to finish a couple of these first. I guess what I want to know is how many open bottles is too many? Consuming an average of 6 to 8 oz a day, how many open bottles do you have?

Connoisseur
    Wild Turkey 8yr
    Wild Turkey 12yr
    Wild Turkey RR 101
    Wild Turkey RB
    Wild Turkey 86.8
    ND Old Grand-Dad 86
    Old Overholt 86
    IW Harper 86
    Old Forester BIB
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Yellowstone 6yr 86
    ND Old Crow 80
    Prentice Eagle Rare 10yr 101
    Hirsch 16

Until I start to kill a few of these, no others will be opened. Although this is a lot of bottles, I am in Los Angeles doing a play and since we started rehearsing six weeks ago, almost every person in the cast has been over at least once to sample some good American whiskey.

Since I'm working nights, I don't get to drink as much as I otherwise would. But next week, I have matinees which leaves my evenings free. I'm hoping to put together a tasting night with some like minded SBers.

The only one of the above that I really don't care for is the Yellowstone. I don't even particularly care to mix with it. It's an older bottle so maybe it's gone off, but there was no evaporation and the seal seemed good. I think it's just a flavor that doesn't appeal to me.

-Mike
    Last edited by scratchline; 04-10-2006 at 23:31.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru
    Makers
    Bookers
    EC 12
    EC 18
    Eagle Rare SB
    OGD 114
    WT RR 101
    WT 101
    EWSB 95
    Knob Creek
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple
    ORWV 10 107 proof
    WT RB
    101 (8 Y)
    Kentucky Legend single barrel
    OGD 114
    WLW
    GTS 141.2
    Sazerac 2005
    Rittenhouse 10Y
    BMH 18Y rye
    ORVW old time rye serie C

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur
    I used to have around 40 open bottles but in recent times I have made a sincere attempt to discipline myself.

The trouble for me is that I seldom order stuff för bunkering, i.e. a bottle bought is because I´m yearning for it, which makes it difficult to resist cracking it open.

As I mentioned before, I haven´t really encountered any problem regarding diminishing quality but I have so many bottles that I sometimes have found myself forgetting the existence of some of the bottles.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Guru
    I'm a sincere believer in keeping your options wide open and that if you have more bottles closed than open you're wastin good drinking time. As Tim said in another thread most of mine are open. If I can't taste em from time to time how can I remember if I like em or not? What do you mean keep tasting notes?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    To many to list, but I counted 46......I thought it would be more, the shelf sure looks like it's more!

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I try to keep my open bottles limited to less than 6(though currently I have over a dozen open-and I blame it all on the guys in the chatroom .) I did have a period of time when I had about 3 dozen open bottles and found that a few of them had experienced a flavor shift, most notably a WT12 .
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    I have to add that this newly acquired discipline of mine took a serious knock, wednesday last week. All this due to my somewhat fatalistic nature.

I was about to fly to Stockholm the next morning and suddenly it struck me : "What if the plane crashes and I don´t get to taste some of my unopened bottles?". Accordingly, I opened my most recent Bourbon purchases, Elmer T. Lee and Rock Hill Farms.

Well, it was my first Elmer for many years so maybe the judge would let me off the hook with something like 'extenuating circumstances'?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Disciple
    All of my bottles are open, which easily numbers 100. As soon as I get them, I open and taste at my convenience. If I don't really know what to drink, I have all bottle names written on a small pieces of paper and just draw a name. As long as I get to enjoy a drink when I want that is all that matters!

Thomas