Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Put a Cork in it

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I'm going to tell a story on myself. When I recork a bottle I usually seat the cork lightly in the neck of the bottle and then strike it with the heel of my hand to drive it into the bottle. Don't try this with a bottle of Blanton's. I can tell you that it hurts. I have done it several times...
    That is too funny. I can just see it.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jbutler View Post
    OK, I don't want to stray too far off topic here, but how do you feel about synthetic corks? The introduction of synthetic cork rocked the boat quite a bit in the wine enthusiast crowd, but considering that whiskey coming into contact with the cork is an undesirable thing, then synthetic cork should be a superior closure.
    The synthetic corks currently available are substantially more porous to oxygen than good-quality natural corks. This is offset by the fact that whiskey bottle corks are topped with a plastic or wood knob that greatly reduces air movement through the cork, especially if the bottle is stored at a constant temperature. Nevertheless, I think you'll find that Anchor Distilling already uses synthetic corks on their Old Potrero line...at least on the Hotaling's.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Glass View Post
    Good one! Thanks for the responses. I don't think that its outright discrimination but more a protest against unnecessary change and an appreciation for tradition. And I do want that ORVW107 I saw last week. I might even go get it now. The wine industry sells millions of bottles with a screw caps but there would be a lynch mob assembled if they made a move to putting a screw cap on a $200 bottle of Chardonnay and I don't think that they would take that chance and I hope that twist cap Pappy shooters aren't on the horizon...what am I saying that would be great! Hey that's my idea Julian! Now I'm late for my shrink.
    In Australia, we have seen many wine makers starting to replace the cork with the 'stelvin closure', or screw cap. Whites more so than reds, but the reds are starting to catch up. Wolf Blass have stepped up and put a screw cap on their $180 Platinum range! They seem to have the research that less bottles of wine are being oxidised - no chance of a bad cork - but it does also impact the ageing on reds. Say, for example, a wine with a cork is at it's peak in 10 years, it may take 12 years for the same wine with a screw cap to be at it's peak.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    It's an interesting technological question. I haven't found a cork substitute that has the resilience and closing qualities of cork. In that new XR Crown Royal, they use a synthetic cork and mine at any rate does not fit the bottle well. Every time I open the bottle it seems a struggle to take out the cork and sometimes droplets of whisky fly out. The theory is good (no deterioration, minimal if any adverse contact with the whisky) but it may take time for technology to achieve the results.

Gary
    Gary,

I noticed this last night. I opened my bottle of XR to smell it (that smell is holy!), and even though the bottle has been sitting there since I moved 2 months ago, I removed the cork without moving the bottle, and sure enough there was whisky on the cork. I also find it is not a great fit.
    Also what's with the whole 'hole in the cork so the liquid can flow into the stopper' thing?? Not just on the XR, but a couple of the Jack decanters have the same thing (Maxwell house & 1904 Centennial).

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

I think I wrote about this last time the topic came up, but here it is again.

Nikka Whisky (Japanese) has several different corks that address the problems of cork coming in contact with whiskey. I have several bottles that have a cork with a wooden top. The cork is covered with a layer of plastic. These bottles open with a satisfying pop. However, the squeak of the cork against the glass is missing. They are a little harder to open though. I haven't splashed any whiskey around, but then I have always been extra careful when opening one of these. And that takes alot of the fun out of opening a bottle.

One Nikka bottle I have is nearly perfect. It has a natural cork, but the bottom of the cork is covered with a very thin layer of plastic. Think saran wrap. The cork touches the glass, but not the whiskey. It feels just like opening a bottle with a normal cork, the squeak, the pop, everything. But the Whiskey never touches it.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Taster

i find the sound and feel of a cork satisfying, but it certainly is not the criteria for whether i make a bourbon purchase or not.

Enthusiast

as I was thinking about it, a cork is cool and makes a nice sound, but I have a bottle of Old Charter 12 year old and it has a screw top. I love this stuff. I just found it! But you know, there are other more expensive bourbons that have corks and fancier bottles I like less like: Elmer T. Lee which I don't really like. So, I don't think its important how they package it. But heck, maybe I could repackage it.

Enthusiast

In AA they say 'put the plug in the jug'. I say.... 'screw it'.

Enthusiast

Contrary to what everyone is saying here....there are no good bourbons with screw caps...really.......don't go try to find them.....really.

Seriously, I could care less. I have owned and tasted some exceptional bottles that have screw caps and have tasted some less than exceptional bottles with corks. Buy it for what is in it not for the packaging (or label).
    Joel

Advanced Taster

Two of my favorites have screw caps - Eagle Rare 101, and Weller Antique. Just think, if I was a cork snob, I never would have had the pleasure of sipping these fine whiskeys. That would be a shame, especially since the ER 101 has been cancelled.
    Matt

"Until I cross that bourbon borderline...." - Gary Allan