Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Put a Cork in it

I have the opportunity to purchase a Woodford Reserve, Bakers (old bottle) and a Basil Hayden where the tops have come away from the cork, leaving just the cork in the necks of the bottles. I will inspect them before I buy them, what should I look out for? I am wondering why an outlet has 3 different bottles with this problem to begin with. They are being offered at a very good price.
    Any thoughts??

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Woodford Reserve, Bakers (old bottle) and a Basil Hayden where the tops have come away from the cork, leaving just the cork in the necks of the bottles. I will inspect them before I buy them, what should I look out for? I am wondering why an outlet has 3 different bottles with this problem to begin with. They are being offered at a very good price.
    Any thoughts??

Scott
    Hmm. Look. Sniff. Buy one open and taste. Then decide whether you want the other bottles or not.

My guess is that there is only a slightly higher chance of the bottles being corked than would otherwise be the case, but it is only a guess.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Advanced Taster

I prefer a cork just as long as as it is easy to remove and also seals well. Sometimes this is hard to do both. If it has a screw cap doesn't mean it has bad bourbon in it. There are many fine bourbons and ryes that have screw caps. I don't mind a screw cap at all. It's whats inside that matters.

bj

Guru

All things being equal, I prefer a cork... for the cachet and all. But I wouldn't (and don't) make my purchase /drinking decisions based on that.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertaster View Post
    It's whats inside that matters.

bj
    While I agree, I sometimes actually prefer a screw-off cap. That way I don't have to worry about it breaking off, tainting the beverage, etc. Corks don't steer me away from good bourbon, but there's just less worry with a cap.

Taster

As all have said here...its whats inside that counts. Why pass up something good just because of its package...

Could be said of a good woman too.

I find a very GOOD reason to like the screw-ons:

You can store them in a wine rack on their sides. Don't have to store those bottles standing up!

Virtuoso

Also, let's not forget that the late, lamented ORVW 15 came in... a screw-top bottle! I'll go with the general consensus - corks have the snob factor, but they really have no bearing on the quality of the product in the bottle.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

I often don't notice, the first time I buy a label, what kind of closure a bottle has till I get it home.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    Hmm. Look. Sniff. Buy one open and taste. Then decide whether you want the other bottles or not.

My guess is that there is only a slightly higher chance of the bottles being corked than would otherwise be the case, but it is only a guess.

Ed
    Thanks Ed, I ended up getting all 3. Turns out it wasn't old label Bakers, these were all current bottles. During a revamp of the store, the top shelf was leaned on and 8 bottles took a dive from the top shelf. There was a broken BH, and the 3 i got lost their caps. Big deal. The other 4 survived. Not bad for a 7 foot fall!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Whether or not a bottle has a cork or screw cap, does not affect my opinion of a bourbon in the least. I have favorites, that I purchase repeatedly, that have either of the closures. I must say, though, that I prefer cork for it's cache, and that beautiful Thummpp sound it makes while opening. What does that say about the nature of my existence, when a highlight of my day is the opening of a corked whiskey bottle? But, on the other hand, I do prefer screw caps when having to pack bottles in my luggage for a flight home from a trip. On my most recent trip, I had to pass on 3 slope-shouldered OCPR 13's that were literally begging me to take them home, but I was too concerned about leakage.

Cheers!

JOE