Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

New to the dusty bottle thing...

First, let me thank all of you for the wealth of wisdom you've shared on this forum. I have searched and found endless amounts of good information, which has led to a few excellent purchases recently, including three bottles of WTRR101 (which, now, I think I might have overpaid for - $28/ea). Unfortunately, I'm now driving all over the city like a madman, seeking dusty bottles...

Tonight I found five bottles of ER 101. How excited should I be (FWIW, I love ER90, but have never had the 101), and how much should I be willing to spend for them? Also, in a different store, I found two 1L bottles of ER 101. Same questions about those...

Additionally, I found one gold-veined bottle of Old Weller 107. No "Antique" on label. Bottled in Louisville. I know enough to know I should be fairly excited about that, and probably more than willing to pay the $20 they're asking.

Finally, I found several bottles that I think all hail from the mid-80s. I've searched for info. on these, but am still not exactly sure what they are and which ones, if any, I should consider purchasing:

Tom Moore - 1L BIB - 1985(?)
    J.W. Dant - 1L BIB - 1987(?)
    Old Charter - 1989
    Antique - 1986
    Sunny Brook - 750mL/1L both available
    I.W. Harper
    Daniel Stewart
    JTS Brown

Paul Jones blended whiskey

All of the above are 80 proof unless otherwise noted. As stated, I believe all are mid-80s bottlings, fake tax strips, no gov't warning, etc. I've read a good deal on the forums, but I'm still not familiar enough with the history of these whiskeys or the various distillers with which they have been associated to make educated purchases.
    Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to think the two BIB are worth trying. Likewise the Brown and Harper, but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TBoner; 01-18-2007 at 21:46.

Disciple

Re: New to the dusty bottle thing...

I would suggest that you buy any of the bottles listed that interest you. The I.W. Harper brand is no longer marketed in the USA. The BIB bottles would both be good choices. The whiskey you have identified as being from the 80's would certainly be different than a same brand bottle sold today due to all of the consolidation in the bourbon industry over the last 25 years. Godd luck and happy hunting!

Thomas

Enthusiast

I agree - get the bottles that interest you. Anything I've never tried that's bottled in bond would certainly interest me. I have, in fact, the Dant BIB you found and can confirm that it's drinkable! The IW Harper I am also familiar with and strongly recommend in the 15 YO, 80 proof variety.

Connoisseur

Okay, cool. I'll probably get both of the BIB and one or two other bottles, since none were over $10. Thanks for the insights.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    The IW Harper I am also familiar with and strongly recommend in the 15 YO, 80 proof variety.
    Is this I W Harper a new bottling or something old?
    This sounds interesting, nothing new today comes out at such a low proof with that high an age.
    I personally couldn't water down a 15yo to 80 proof.

Enthusiast

Oscar,

Something old and likely not available, afraid to say. I found three bottles of this a week or so before Christmas, it's from I'd say about ten years ago (the bottle has a 95 on the bottem) and part of a "Bourbon Heritage Collection". The bottle is a Rebel Yell bottle but with gold streaks (!) in the glass.

I too am intrigued by the extreme aging for an 80 proof bourbon - I can think of nothing like it.

Tastes good, too! This is as smooth as a baby's arse.
    Last edited by Jazzhead; 01-19-2007 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Is this I W Harper a new bottling or something old?
    This sounds interesting, nothing new today comes out at such a low proof with that high an age.
    I personally couldn't water down a 15yo to 80 proof.
    This is from the original, mid-'90s Bourbon Heritage Collection and, like only the Dickel 10yo from that set, was not bottled again, at least not in perpetuity.
    By that time, I.W. Harper was well on its way out of U.S. distribution. I suspect aged stock was limited, and it may be that what whiskey was available had to be reduced to 80 proof in order to attain enough quantity to justify putting it in the collection.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Seems like you've learned well, Grasshopper. Well done.

Price might make a difference on some of these, but here's my 2 cents.

WTRR101 @$28/ea (was more like $20 when it was out, but I wouldn't say you got hosed.)

ER 101 (discontinued, so worth having. You'll like it if you like the 90. If priced at more than $20 for the 750, someone saw you coming.)

Old Weller 107, Louisville (Right, at $20 you can go too far wrong.)

Tom Moore - 1L BIB - 1985(?) Barton whiskey, get it.
    J.W. Dant - 1L BIB - 1987(?) Heaven Hill whiskey, probably. Get it.
    Old Charter - 1989 Not much different from what you can get now.
    Antique - 1986 Not sure what this is, probably pass.
    Sunny Brook - 750mL/1L both available. Probably pass.
    I.W. Harper get it
    Daniel Stewart pass
    JTS Brown Heaven Hill, probably just like the Dant, but a venerable name.

Paul Jones blended whiskey pass

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

Tom Moore - 1L BIB - 1985(?) Barton whiskey, get it.

Got one!
    Not a 1 Liter, but a BIB with a Fed Tax strip and a TN Tax stamp.
    I knew when I started that a Tom Moore felt right for the collection.
    Yup,... distilled in Bardstown by Barton.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Tom Moore founded what is now Barton so that's their "original" brand.