Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

...and suddenly there were Barrel Proofers

I was thinking about how little Barrel Proof American whiskey there was before Stagg (was there any in recent times?), and now it seems there are many. Here is a list I'm pulling off the top of my head that is a bit sketchy and maybe wrong (and no, they're not called out by their proper names):

Buffalo Trace:
    Stagg
    Handy
    Larue

Four Roses:
    Jim Rutledge Tribute

Heaven Hill:
    Parker's Choice Bourbon
    Parker's Choice Straight Wheat
    Parker's Choice Corn Whiskey
    Parker's Choice Straight Rye

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers:
    Red Hook Rye 1 and 2, available at Lenell's in Brooklyn
    Willett's Rye 1 and 2, available at Ledger's in Berkeley
    Willett's Young Bourbon (4 year) in 2 expressions, one available at Toddy's in Bardstown, one at Ledger's

Old Potrero:
    Straight Rye (or Straight Spirit, depending on age)

Others?

I'm not sure, but I believe they are all being released as unchill-filtered as well. It seems this is a good time for those who like pure barrel whiskey.

Roger

PS
    I tried to think of Barrel Proof, or nearly Barrel Proof bottles of yore and came up with:
    Grand Dad 114
    Weller Antique 107

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: ...and suddenly there were Barrel Proofers

I would guess that the only things close other than mentioned would be Booker's and Noah's Mill....with the latter being the closest to a Stagg forerunner, due to age... that may be it...

Of course you'd still be missing Blanton's Straight from the Barrel...and um...that may be it...

Doesn't Rare Breed have some kinda Barrel statement?...that may be it...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

"This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Doesn't Rare Breed have some kinda Barrel statement?...that may be it...
    I was just thinking the same thing, I believe so.
    I hope this trend continues, I prefer the barrel proof's because, at the very least, they seem like a better deal since they could easily be turned into something with a more common proof while at the same time leaving you with more to drink. Hopefully there will be more wheat recipe barrel proofs in the near future, WLW is the only one that I know of. Weller Antique is one of my favorites but I've always assumed it was not actually barrel proof because the label did not say so and I have not seen it categorized as such anywhere, if it isn't I assume a barrel proof version would be even better!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    Weller Antique is one of my favorites but I've always assumed it was not actually barrel proof...
    I think it _was_ a barrel proof when introduced in the '50s. The brand didn't change, the distillation did.

This thread , which Scratchline highlighted, discusses the origins of the 107 barrel proof - especially Mike Veach's post #5.

Grand Dad 114 also _was_ at or near barrel proof when introduced - the label used to say so. I think it also suffered from a raise in proof, only to be watered down later.

I also found posts 19 and 20 of this thread that speaks of still proof and barrel entry proofs quite interesting.

Roger

Disciple

Don't forget AA 107 barrel proof. Hard to find, I know, but a variety none the less. I have only seen pictures of that one.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Don't forget AA 107 barrel proof. Hard to find, I know, but a variety none the less. I have only seen pictures of that one.
    I know the AA Barrel 107 from the early '90s, but I don't recall it stating that it was barrel proof. You may be thinking of a different product. Here is the one I can remember.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm not really sure that Barrel 107 was considered barrel proof, it happened to be the same proof as the original ETL...

However, in the same vein, there is Original Barrel Brand 5yo 105proof
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Whether the Weller, at 107, was ever actually barrel proof is uncertain, but it was marketed as "original barrel proof." This was in the 50s, maybe 60s. Likewise Grand-Dad 114. Booker's, introduced in the late 1980s, was the first barrel-proof bourbon of the modern era, touted using the term "barrel proof" and its bottling proof varied from batch to batch, as it naturally would. However, it is not a bandwagon upon which everyone immediately jumped. The upcoming Parker's Heritage Collection is Heaven Hill's first barrel-proof bourbon released in the USA.

But if you want to say who started it among the modern super-premium bourbons, it would be Booker's. It was unfiltered too, which Stagg also duplicated.

Disciple

Well, maybe thats why I have not seen this one before.....It does not say proof, just barrel. My mistake.

Jeff Mo.