Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Iron Horse Kentucky Bourbon

Today I got some tickets at work for some items that I can only presume are new and must be coming into our stores. 2 of them were for Iron Horse Kentucky Bourbon (700mL and 1L).
    There was no price on the ticket but I imagine it is something that will be coming soon.
    Obviously I have not heard of this brand, or seen anything on here about it, I'm guessing it's a control label possibly being bottled for us.
    Bettye Jo - you haven't seen this label sitting around at Heaven Hill have you?

I'll post more when I know more, which will probably be when we receive the stock.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: Iron Horse Kentucky Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Bettye Jo - you haven't seen this label sitting around at Heaven Hill have you?

Scott
    Nope

Bettye Jo

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

interesting.....
    Nothing showed when I searched Google either...

Advanced Taster

Got to love the people in marketing these days...Iron Horse - What tha!?

Another Coles bulk buy??
    IMHO Bourbon needs to come in line with Scotch, i.e. Stating what distillery it's from. All these 'no name' brands are just only making bourbon a cheap product!! And I don't mean that literally...just with the way Bourbon 'holds' itself in foreign countries, I would have thought that someone would have started a proper authority for the liquid...it does well to deserve it!!

When is there going to be a proper Bourbon Association?? Scotch has one!!

TK.(Troy)

Apprentice

Google " Iron Horse Whiskey " for results.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting point about whether bourbon should always identify where it's from.

A few thoughts. Not all scotch whisky tells you the distillery or distilleries it's from. Blends don't, yet luxury blends still have a lot of status in the scotch world.

Generally, single malts do tell you, which is part of the concept of these drinks. They are the product of one distillery. Not all malts do so, though, there are private label malts, and vatted ones, which often do not state the exact origin. I just saw one in our market here that stated it had a base of Islay malts, but whether all are Islays, and then too, which ones, I do not know.

But even if we set aside this aspect, I am mindful there are only 8 or 9 producing bourbon distilleries. There are so many more single malt distilleries, in a much smaller country.

With so few bourbon distilleries, it seems to me inevitably a business will emerge whereby people buy in bulk and create a brand name and flavor profile (take e.g. Corner Creek). Many of these brands, like Corner Creek, are successful and have been around for a long time. Some products get known and get a good reputation, others less so and they will not have the same success.

Also, there is the factor that a distillery can make a bourbon - to begin with -but it ends being finished somewhere else. Many distilleries do not age on or near the premises where the still is located. (By the way this can happen at single malt distilleries, I understand some output, e.g., of Islay, is aged far away from the location of the distillery).

Finally, the tradition in the States was often to distill and sell the output right away, for aging somewhere else, or on-site, but owned by another party and made to his or her spec. under a name of his choosing. Even if that business model is not as common as it was, that history created or was part of a system of middlemen who had their own brands, sometimes bought of a piece from a distiller, but often combined with other whiskeys to make a vatted-type or blended product. From the beginning, then, identification with the source distillery, even if there was one only, was often secondary to the market and reputation of the product.

In my own experience, whiskeys vary to a lesser or greater degree, over time anyway, whether they come from a known source or someone who owns a brand name.

As for an anonymous new brand that appears on the market from time to time, I'll give it a try if I have the chance and buy it again if I like it. Generally I think these come not too costly and sometimes you can get a good value in this area.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-19-2007 at 12:06.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My solution? Don't buy 'em. Don't care about 'em.

I've ordered a case, it's definitely an exclusive label do to the new ticketing, and the 700mL bottle is going to be $29.99

Hopefully will be here soon.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Well, Iron Horse is finally in. $29.99 on sale for $26.99 next week. It's in the same bottle as EW Black, and it is marked DSP-KY-31 on the box.
    I will try to remember to take a decent picture of it tomorrow. 74 proof

Scott

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Well, Iron Horse is finally in. $29.99 on sale for $26.99 next week. It's in the same bottle as EW Black, and it is marked DSP-KY-31 on the box.
    I will try to remember to take a decent picture of it tomorrow. 74 proof

Scott
    74 proof? Scott, did you know it would be at that proof when you placed the order? I have a bottle of Prichards Sweet Lucy and I beleive it is at 70 proof.

Can it be called bourbon at a proof lower than 80? I'll have to check the bottle of Lucy and see what it says on the bottle.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog