Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Iron Horse Kentucky Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    74 proof? Scott, did you know it would be at that proof when you placed the order? I have a bottle of Prichards Sweet Lucy and I beleive it is at 70 proof.

Can it be called bourbon at a proof lower than 80? I'll have to check the bottle of Lucy and see what it says on the bottle.
    Not in the US. I believe Sweet Lucy says something like Bourbon Liqueur.

There may be a diluted bourbon category for those places in the US that only allow up to a certain proof in groceries and such, though
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Hmmm....found this in a document dated 2003...

5.2 Protection for GI Spirits
    The current regulations for spirits only allow geographic indications to be indicated for spirits
    if the %ABV in the spirit is at a level permitted by the laws of the country of origin.
    5.2.1 Bourbon whisky
    Under US law the federal regulations specify no whisky can be called Bourbon unless it has
    been manufactured within the United States according to a specific Bourbon formula. This
    formula requires Bourbon to be bottled at not less than 80 degrees proof (40% ABV) unless
    otherwise noted on the label it has been ‘diluted’. However, the US provides a waiver for
    exports which permits the bottling of Bourbon at 37% ABV without reflecting that the
    product has been ‘diluted’.

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Hmmm....found this in a document dated 2003...
    That is interesting. I thought bourbon had to be at 80 proof but didn't realize that export could be lower and still be called bourbon. Guess that's something to watch for when shopping internationally. Thanks.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The real answer is that U.S. standard of identity for distilled spirits, including TTB labeling rules, only apply to products sold in the United States. US-made products sold in other countries have to conform to the laws of those countries.

Guru

Chuck,

Check me on this.

Distillers in other countries can theoretically make a product that is indistinguishable from bourbon, but they can't call it "bourbon".

Distillers in the USA can make a product that is not bourbon under US law and sell it as bourbon in those other countries.

Do I have it right?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I was under the impression that Iron Horse was a Heaven Hill brand bottled for Australia? Kind of like Nelson County and (probably) several other bottlings we have?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post

Distillers in other countries can theoretically make a product that is indistinguishable from bourbon, but they can't call it "bourbon".

Distillers in the USA can make a product that is not bourbon under US law and sell it as bourbon in those other countries.

Do I have it right?
    Sounds about right to me. Though if the country doesn't have an agreement with the US to protect those "protected geographic region names" then they could probably still use the title "bourbon". Of course any country that doesn't have this sort of trade agreement probably doesn't do much business with the US anyway and the market for such things would be little...

But Chuck might know better

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Regardless of the "technicalities", it ain't bourbon unless:
    1) The mashbill is >51% corn
    2) It's fermented, distilled, and aged in Kentucky in new charred oak barrels
    3)the ABV is 43% or greater
    4) the only thing mixed with it before it goes in the bottle is limestone spring water.
    5)the whiskey can be mixed with different ages, but must not be mixed with distillate from different recipes

It may be whiskey, it may taste good, but unless it meets the above criteria, it ain't bourbon to me. You want different taste profiles, fine, but don't call it Bourbon unless it is from the same recipe. American Whisky is a fine label for blends and watered down stuff...but please don't call it Bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Quote Originally Posted by wku88 View Post
    4) the only thing mixed with it before it goes in the bottle is limestone spring water.
    5)the whiskey can be mixed with different ages, but must not be mixed with distillate from different recipes

It may be whiskey, it may taste good, but unless it meets the above criteria, it ain't bourbon to me. You want different taste profiles, fine, but don't call it Bourbon unless it is from the same recipe. American Whisky is a fine label for blends and watered down stuff...but please don't call it Bourbon.
    Why greater than 51% corn, when the rest of the world considers 51% just fine? Now if you were to say not less than 75% corn, I could understand your point. The final criterion means that no Four Roses bottlings except its Single Barrels qualify as bourbon to you. Both of these criteria seem pretty arbitrary to me.
    Last edited by Barrel_Proof; 09-21-2007 at 22:01.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by wku88 View Post

Hmmmm, someone better tell Jim Beam that they aren't selling bourbon in Australia then ......All Jim Beam White sold in Australia is shipped here (in barrels I assume) and bottled at 37.5% and is still legally able to be called bourbon....