Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

I imagine the answer to this will be the same as the one Chuck gave in the thread on Bombay Gin.

I would like to know people's opinions of the Tanquerays. Is the T 10 really better than the regular, which is pretty darn good. I prefer it to Bombay Sapphire, I think. I didn't replace the Sapphire I had, well, I did, but with Tanqueray. I am on my third bottle of that.

Anyway, what do people think?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Administrator in exile

Re: Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

Personally, Tanqueray is the reason I thought I hated gin for so long. T10 is a different animal all together. I suspect the spice recipe is completely different, but that's just a guess.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Personally, Tanqueray is the reason I thought I hated gin for so long. T10 is a different animal all together. I suspect the spice recipe is completely different, but that's just a guess.
    Hmm. That's interesting. Doesn't tell me whether I will like the Tanqueray 10 or not, but it certainly is interesting.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Apprentice

Tanqueray has 10 stills. The No. 10 Still is very small and has a unique shape. They make Tan 10 in this still and the effects of the small still supposedly make for a crisper gin. The stills shape captures the botanicals flavor more and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Str8RYE View Post
    Tanqueray has 10 stills. The No. 10 Still is very small and has a unique shape. They make Tan 10 in this still and the effects of the small still supposedly make for a crisper gin. The stills shape captures the botanicals flavor more and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.
    Same botanicals?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Apprentice

They use whole fresh fruits and a different recipe for the 10.

Advanced Taster

Originally Posted by Str8RYE:

"... and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.[/QUOTE]"

Regular Tanq is 94.6 Proof also. Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here. I enjoy practically every good gin I've tasted, in one application or another, being a gin lover. I don't drink gin staight, however. My favorite gin drink is the Gin Gimlet and I prefer regular Tanqueray to any other gin I've had in a Gimlet, including Tanq 10. The regular Tanq, to me, has a saltiness and an edge to it that is great in a Gimlet, also makes a great G & T. One vote for regular Tanq! Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

There is a survey of selected imported and artisan American gins in the current Imbibe, a cool new magazine on drinks of various kinds including fine coffees published out of Portland, OR.

None of the gins is a Tanqueray, though.

They gave 5 stars to Old Raj Dry Gin (Scots-made) but 4 1/2 to Aviation, a Dutch genever-style gin from Portland - see www.medoyeff.com - and 5 again to Bluecoat Gin from Philly - www.bluecoatgin.com

Excellent article on rye whiskeys (mention is made of a Black Maple Hill 23 year old, not just the 18 - was that mentioned here?) and the corn and other young whiskies made by Belmont Farms in Virginia.

The magazine has a fresh contemporary look and a good approach, it should do well.

Gary

Connoisseur

I have had the Old Raj gin (it's pricey for gin) but well worth it if you are a gin drinker. My favorite to date.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A good way to think about gin is as the original flavored vodka. The flavors come from the infusion of herbs and spices into a neutral spirit. The signature spice is juniper berry, but beyond that the possibilities are endless.