Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

Originally Posted by Str8RYE:

"... and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.[/QUOTE]"

Regular Tanq is 94.6 Proof also. Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here. I enjoy practically every good gin I've tasted, in one application or another, being a gin lover. I don't drink gin staight, however. My favorite gin drink is the Gin Gimlet and I prefer regular Tanqueray to any other gin I've had in a Gimlet, including Tanq 10. The regular Tanq, to me, has a saltiness and an edge to it that is great in a Gimlet, also makes a great G & T. One vote for regular Tanq! Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

There is a survey of selected imported and artisan American gins in the current Imbibe, a cool new magazine on drinks of various kinds including fine coffees published out of Portland, OR.

None of the gins is a Tanqueray, though.

They gave 5 stars to Old Raj Dry Gin (Scots-made) but 4 1/2 to Aviation, a Dutch genever-style gin from Portland - see www.medoyeff.com - and 5 again to Bluecoat Gin from Philly - www.bluecoatgin.com

Excellent article on rye whiskeys (mention is made of a Black Maple Hill 23 year old, not just the 18 - was that mentioned here?) and the corn and other young whiskies made by Belmont Farms in Virginia.

The magazine has a fresh contemporary look and a good approach, it should do well.

Gary

Connoisseur

I have had the Old Raj gin (it's pricey for gin) but well worth it if you are a gin drinker. My favorite to date.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

A good way to think about gin is as the original flavored vodka. The flavors come from the infusion of herbs and spices into a neutral spirit. The signature spice is juniper berry, but beyond that the possibilities are endless.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's true. At the same time, I find gin a little, well, anodyne.

I made a martini tonight with Beefeater and a dash Martini vermouth and bitters.

As good as it was, straight whiskey or (as will appear) straight genever gin is (to my taste) just so much better.

The martini was just too light. The flavors (juniper, orange, cinnamon, etc.) sit on the top but don't really inform the drink...

I discarded most of it and had a shot of blended Dutch and Belgian genevers I made that I keep in the ice box. This was so much better. Some of the components are made from neutral, flavored spirit but others are low proof, old style rye-based genever, essentially a kind of whiskey white dog. That's a drink.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-23-2007 at 17:32.

Guru

Exclamation Re: Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

Is anodyne a word? Coming from you, Gary, I imagine that it is.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Wow,

To me, I don't care for standard Tanq at all. It seems very toxic. I like Bombay Sapphire, but T10 is the best gin I've had. It has a very smooth flavor, but a complexity that the Sapphire doesn't have, and doesn't have the chemical dump flavor I get with standard Tanq.

So I would say T10 is to Tanq as Blanton's is to Jim Beam White...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
    Wow,

To me, I don't care for standard Tanq at all. It seems very toxic. I like Bombay Sapphire, but T10 is the best gin I've had. It has a very smooth flavor, but a complexity that the Sapphire doesn't have, and doesn't have the chemical dump flavor I get with standard Tanq.

So I would say T10 is to Tanq as Blanton's is to Jim Beam White...

Joel
    Joel, that is pretty high praise for the T 10!

I don't get chemical dump at all, mostly juniper, with some other flavors in the background that balance it without me being able to identify them. I haven't drunk much of it straight. I make martinis with it and I like them very much. I didn't like the martinis I made with Beef-eater Very Dry Gin or Sapphire as much. I did drink some of the Sapphire straight. I don't remember it very well, but think I liked that better than Tanqueray on its own.

This thread has convinced me that I need to get both the T 10 and another bottle of Sapphire.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

I've had the T10 (straight) and liked it. Had a few other gins and was not impressed. I really am a whisk(e)y/tequila fan...

To me, the T10 tastes especially citrusy compared to other gins, including standard Tanqueray, so it seems especially good in a martini with a twist. I like Junipero better if I am looking for a more herbal/juniper taste, etc.