Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast

Re: Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

I far prefer T-10 to regular Tanqueray, at least for martinis. I like a gutsy, in-your-face gin for martinis, one that will hold up to a bit of vermouth.

My very favorite gin is Anchor Distillery's Junipero, available only in California as far as I know. It is even bolder than T-10, but bother are well balanced and complex.

As much as I think they have a similar style, I remember tasting the two of them blind a few years ago and being surprised how different they were from one another. Can't remember how, though. I'll have to try that again.

Last evening we went out to dinner with friends and I saw a gin I'd heard about, Hendrick's. This Scottish gin is made with rose and cucumber as well as the usual juniper and other botanicals. I ordered a martini made with it, and while it was interesting, I don't think I'll bother again. A little too soft and perfumey.

There is a review of it here.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Disciple

Re: Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

You know, I haven't quite made up my mind yet, but after about two thirds of a bottle of Tanqueray 10 and a recent visit to the standard Tanqueray I have open, I think I like the standard better. The T 10 seems somehow un-gin-like, almost like a gin based liqueur. Oddly, I think the T 10 is 'better' in some sense, but when I want gin I want something like the standard Tanqueray.

In martini's I like the Tanqueray better. I like a dash of orange bitters in mine, a dribble of Noilly Pratt and swirl with an ice cube or two. No olive. I know that the T 10 has an orange note but I prefer the bitters.

I still have to pick up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire.
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!