Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: wheat bourbon?

wheat bourbon?

Can one of the wheated bourbon fans tell me what they like most about them. I dont dislike them, I guess I just dont understand the appeal. They always seem to boring for me, like they are missing something( rye I know). Thanks.

Guru

Re: wheat bourbon?

Personaly I don't care much for lower proof wheaters, Weller 12 being an exeption. Weller antique 107 is my favorite. I find at that proof point it has enough flavor to carry the experiance through. I love the carmel/pecan pie sweetness. Or should I say "impresion of sweetness". If you find them boring try some of the higher proof offerings, assuming you have not already. Makers Mark is boring!

Guru

If you like rye... great, so do I. But I also like wheaters. Not sure why; maybe it is the contrast to the rye types. Love the soft finish and the melding of the nose, with the taste, with the finish.

I enjoy them both. Often depending on my mood.

On reflection, one of the things I value most in a bourbon is balance. Hard to describe what this means but I know it when I find it. Some wheaters have this for me: Weller Centennial for WLW or example. But some ryes have the same: I love OGD 114 and WT 101, for example.

If I figured all this out I would probably end up drinking only one or two "perfect" bourbons... and what fun would that be?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Ever try Pappy 15 or 20? That's what made me a wheater fan!

Quote Originally Posted by upstate View Post
    Can one of the wheated bourbon fans tell me what they like most about them...
    The best wheaters -- think the Van Winkles, older Old Fitz BIB, S-W Wellers -- have the sweetness and nuttiness of the wheat, but also some of the spiciness one usually associates with rye. Whether this comes from the wood -- wheat can better tolerate longer aging, generally, than rye-recipe whiskeys -- or from the specifics of Stitzel-Weller's copper still is debatable, but the combination is alluring.
    Tim