Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: George Dickel Shootoff: No. 8 vs. No. 12

Just bought a bottle of this last night. I've been wanting to try it for quite some time, but visions of JD kept running thru my head. After reading the postings here, I decided to give it a try.

WOW!! I was pleasantly surprised!! Last night's initial impressions compare quite favorably with a very respected 13 YO non-bourbon whiskey. I will have to explore this further to see if my impressions change as I work on this bottle. If they stay the same, I just may have a new whisky in my line-up.

Administrator in exile

This really is a lose-lose proposition, IMHO.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

This really is a lose-lose proposition, IMHO.
    Zero bottles of TN whiskey in this bunker and counting!

Advanced Taster

I used to think the same way, until I tried it. It is a lot better than some bourbons that are on the market. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. It is NOT JD!!!

Administrator in exile

Believe me, I've tried it. In fact, I've tried it recently with the same results. I don't care for JD either, but I would choose it over Dickel. I know I'm in the minority here, but something about it really turns my stomach.

Novice

In fact, I've tried it recently with the same results. I don't care for JD either, but I would choose it over Dickel. I know I'm in the minority here, but something about it really turns my stomach.
    Personally, I thought the Dickel tasted fairly decent until someone mentioned vitamins. Now, that's pretty much exactly what I taste in Dickel. Even using it as a mixer, I still feel like I'm drinking a Coke and Centrum (Tennessee Whiskey from A to Zinc?).

It's really not Dickel's fault. Through some weird neurolinguistic reprogramming, jeff has managed to convince my taste buds that Dickel tastes like vita-dirt. I think he owes my taste buds an apology.

Administrator in exile

Many lives have been ruined and dreams have been crushed as a result of my taste buds. I cannot be held responsible

Guru

My attorneys say otherwise.

Enthusiast

Personally, I thought the Dickel tasted fairly decent until someone mentioned vitamins. Now, that's pretty much exactly what I taste in Dickel. * * * It's really not Dickel's fault. Through some weird neurolinguistic reprogramming, jeff has managed to convince my taste buds that Dickel tastes like vita-dirt.
    I don't know; I think that taste was always there. I certainly tasted something in it; the post about vitamins just helped me put a name to that flavor.

I'm always amazed and impressed by the complexity of Dickel---it certainly has flavors no other bourbon/TN has; unfortunately, one of them is that vitamin flavor, which keeps me from actually enjoying it.

Connoisseur

Chill Filtering

Some contemplation on "Chill-Mellowing": Dickel is pretty proud of their "Chill-Mellowing" process.
    But after reading Jim Murray's article "From Strength to Strength…" in the 3rd quarter 2001 issue of the Malt Advocate I'm left to wonder, is anything being sacrificed in the process?

I've wondered the same regarding the impact of chill filtering. The single malt scotch whisky devotees are debating the effects of chill filtering on their favorite dram as well. It seems some of the Scottish distilleries are now issuing expressions of their whisky in non-chill filtered selections, also in cask strength. I suppose somewhere in the middle is the answer. If we could get another option from George Dickel, say Old Number 13, we could say we had a choice. George would soon hear from us regarding our preference as we often vote with our dollars.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.