Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

New to this site and Bourbon

Hello,

While researching a bottle of George T. Stagg and Buffalo Trace that I was gifted, I stumbled onto this site. Looks like a wealth of info here, so I joined.
    I am also new to drinking Bourbon. Any suggestions on what I should drink to enlighten me about the wonders of bourbon are welcome.

T

Advanced Taster

Re: New to this site and Bourbon

Looks like you are off to a great start with what you have. George T Stagg is one of my top 5. You can't go wrong with any of the Van Winkle (Pappy or Old Rip) line. My favorite so far is Pappy Van Winkle 15 and runs around $45. There are plenty of really good bourbons under $30 as you will see in this forum. The Buffalo Trace you have is wonderful as well. Happy drinking!

Guru

Welcome! Wow, you started with Stagg. That's some high octane stuff to start off with. It's a really great bourbon. Besides the Pappy Van Winkle offerings, another Van Winkle product is the Lot B 12 YO bourbon which runs around $35 and is an excellent pour. Another nice one is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. There are so many great selections as I'm sure you will find out as you forage around SB. Read up on the tastings section and other postings that provide notes and recommendations. Good hunting and good drinking.

Cheers/Greg

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Hello,

While researching a bottle of George T. Stagg and Buffalo Trace that I was gifted, I stumbled onto this site. Looks like a wealth of info here, so I joined.
    I am also new to drinking Bourbon. Any suggestions on what I should drink to enlighten me about the wonders of bourbon are welcome.

T
    I suggest you come to the sampler in April...

Novice

Appreciate the welcome and the invite ! I haven't tried the Stagg yet, but if looks are any indication of quality, it has to be great !

Where is the sampler in April ?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Appreciate the welcome and the invite ! I haven't tried the Stagg yet, but if looks are any indication of quality, it has to be great !

Where is the sampler in April ?
    Bardstown, KY. April 28th.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Hello,

T
    Welcome to the board BigT. George T. Stagg might be a little rough for a new bourbon drinker but the Buffalo Trace is a good start. I would like to suggest Elmer T. Lee and W. L. Weller 12yo as a beginning to your adventure. I will always have these on my bar. One more in the same price range is Evan Williams Single Barrel.

bj

Guru

Welcome.

I second the recomendation of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and add Weller Antique 107, these two represent oposite ends of the bourbon spectrum. Turkey is semi-high rye and the Wellers are wheaters. slightly over-proof at 108.4 and 107 proof respectively they pack quite a flavor punch and can also be viewed as something to help aclimate yourself to higher over-proof whiskeys like Stagg. I agree Stagg might be a bit much for a neophite.

Novice

Thanks for all the recomendations.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome, BigT. Don't a be askeered of that Stagg! Just be very, very, respectful of it. Taking an overly aggressive drink of Stagg is like swallowin' a Texas Tornado!! I use Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey 101 as sort of benchmarks for the bourbon exploration. 2 very different drinks that give you a solid experience of the 2 sides of bourbon--wheat & rye.
    Finally, you must be a pretty cool dude to be gifted 2 such extraordinary bourbons. Can you introduce me to your friends?

Cheers!

JOE