Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FTA US & Oz...

Advanced Taster

FTA US & Oz...

Here is something that I think most will find interesting...
    Free Trade Agreement between US & Australia

I thought it would be good to post it here since a number of people have wondered why we have here in Oz Bourbon below 80Proof(40%Alc/Vol). Now with the FTA all Bourbon entered in Australia must comply with US law.
    Cheers!

I had to put this in here too...http://www.discus.org/pdf/Distilled_...me_sep2006.pdf

I am amazed at the figures!!
    Last edited by BarItemsPlus1; 02-02-2007 at 22:44.

TK.(Troy)

Re: FTA US & Oz...

Very interesting Troy, they're either going to have to rewrite the Beam labels or go back up to 80 proof
    If only we could get the 90 proof Maker's Mark too!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

I'd say they would just use the standard labels they use in the US, so it's actually somewhat of a cost bonus...the only label addition needed is that of the importer and that is usually handled by the importer or sometimes it's in conjunction with the producer.
    It also only applies since the FTA was released so any product here already would be exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower
    If only we could get the 90 proof Maker's Mark too!
    Do you mean the black wax version??

I don't know why pernod don't release it here...it would be a top seller!!! Probably due to the price factor...??

TK.(Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by BarItemsPlus1 View Post
    Do you mean the black wax version??

I don't know why pernod don't release it here...it would be a top seller!!! Probably due to the price factor...??
    Nah I believe they stopped the Japan Black Wax, just the normal red wax in the states (or duty free) is 90 proof, opposed to our 86 proof we have here.
    I do love those black wax bottles, they look great.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by BarItemsPlus1 View Post
    ...I don't know why pernod don't release it here...it would be a top seller!!! Probably due to the price factor...??
    Pernod, although it purchased Maker's Mark along with the Allied Domecq brands last year, no longer owns it. It -- and some other things -- went to Fortune Brands/Jim Beam, which provided cash that allowed Pernod to complete the deal.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Perhaps the FTA isn't in effect yet, or something, but the document Troy posted is several years old and you still have underproof and other non-standard bourbons on the market there, do you not?

Damn straight we do Chuck, too many of them....

Scott

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    and you still have underproof and other non-standard bourbons on the market there, do you not?
    Yes we do, but as I stated I would expect that these products have been exempted from the FTA...I can't see them taking product off the shelf.
    I am quite certain that all Bourbon now entered into Australia must comply with the FTA, and if it doesn't comply then...there seriously needs to be a 'Bourbon Association'. If no one is prepared to fight to protect a national product, then why go to the lengths of making a law surrounding the said product??

TK.(Troy)

Advanced Taster

Scott something which I have been pondering...what is the %Alc/Vol of the new 'Iron Horse'??

I have also found a distributer selling a Bourbon at 37%...so much for the FTA?!
    I would be interested to know whom actually controls it, i.e. makes certain that the FTA is adhered to.
    I am going to make enquiries to our polly's here and ask them what the story is...

TK.(Troy)

Advanced Taster

regular red wax makers mark is 90 proof
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)