Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 2 bottles of PVW 15 or 1 bottle of AH Hirsch 16?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I'm one of a tiny minority here who considers the latest, so-called "gold foil" bottling of Hirsch 16 y/o to be only average bourbon -- different, but not in a particularly good way. I wouldn't trade even one bottle of PVW 15 for it.

However, if you find the gold wax bottling, which in my opinion is far superior to the later bottling, then such a swap might be worthwhile -- certainly on a one-time basis.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Dave,
    I'm with you. I recently purchased 2 Hirsch 16s, as I felt the need. I have cracked one, and I wasnt overly impressed. I prefer Blantons Gold, which I can pick up for the same price down here......I haven't yet had Pappy 15, but I hope to have one in the next week or so.....My pappy 23 has cleared customs and should be delivered tomorrow (don't you love tracking numbers!)

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Scott, I still have 1 and a half bottles of Pappy 15.....
    I'll make sure you do get to try it

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Scott, I still have 1 and a half bottles of Pappy 15.....
    I'll make sure you do get to try it
    Thanks mate, I suppose you want to open and try the 23yo??

hehehe maybe one day mate! the wax seal has a crack around it, it's screaming to be opened!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

Well I broke down and bought both because I just had to try the Hirsch before it dries up...

Guru

The Hirsch is a really fine bourbon. I like it very much. Unfortunately, it's getting more and more expensive which makes it hard to justify adding bottles to the bunker. I already have a bottle of Hirsch that I'm nursing. Next month, I'm going to get my hands on 4-5 bottles of the Pappy 15 and probably 2 bottles of Pappy 20.

Advanced Taster

I think these two bottles versus one bottle discussions are silly. Is a Rolls Royce worth 10 Honda Civics? What the heck are you going to do with 10 Honda Civics?

Premium spirits have relative values, but while price can be compared - quality and taste are not only personal, but downright impossible to put a measure on.

Now, if you are asking a question from a comparative perspective, I'd tell you that eventually (IMHO) 2 ORVW 15/107s are going to be worth more than one foil Hirsch. I think the ORVW will appreciate in value much faster than the Hirsch which is probably at the top of its value (given that true collectors will go after the blue and gold wax versions).

Guru

I contend that the analogy of automobiles to bourbon is inappropriate.

Consider the following: One bottle of Pappy 23 vs. 10 bottles of Weller Centennial?

I may not drive 10 Honda Civics, but I'll certainly drink 10 bottles of Weller. Furthermore, if my annual budget for bourbon is around $300, those options are realistic.

Stated differently, over a year's time would I rather have 15 pours of Pappy or 150 pours of the Weller? I can see each as a worthwhile option.

The implications of the original poster's question aren't as far-reaching, but the principle is the same. I don't see it as silly at all.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

The Rolls Royce vs Honda Civics question is too general. If I choose Honda Civics, do I get to choose 10 different colors? I could always drive one of a different color if I get sick of driving the first one. Just kidding! I have a bottle of both Hirsch 16 and Pappy 15. Both are good bourbons and fortunately I got my Hirsch on sale for exactly the same price as I bought the pappy for last year. due to this fact, I would take 2 bottles of pappy vs 1 Hirsch simply because I like the Pappy better and I don't feel like paying the current price for the Hirsch!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

My real point is that the cost of quality is rarely linear - and that more of a good thing isn't necessarily better than less of a better thing.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jsgorman View Post
    My real point is that the cost of quality is rarely linear - and that more of a good thing isn't necessarily better than less of a better thing.
    Of course, that is going on the assumption that the Hirsch is a Rolls, and the Pappy is a Civic. IMO, I have a hard time giving the Hirsch anywhere near that kind of quality lead. Actually, now that I think about it, I would give the Pappy the edge. But, that's me.

Now, if you're strictly into bunkering rarer items, to sell at an inflated price on e-bay or something sometime in the future--then things might be different.

JOE