Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Irish Whisky

Connoisseur

Re: Irish Whisky

Interesting to hear your views! Mine differ insofar as that I thought the Jameson 15yo/Millenium was quite similar to the Redbreast 12yo. In fact, I have to admit having severe difficulties separating them on the basis of the nose, alone. On the palate, the Millenium distinguished itself with displaying far more mature oak in a pleasant manner.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I have to state clearly that I dig the Redbreast 15yo, as well. But maybe, just maybe, it had too much of that "in your face"-feeling to qualify as true Irish, in my view. The Millenium felt more like a logical extension to the RB 12yo.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

That is the great thing about WHisk(e)y we all can get different things from them. I only opened the Jameson 15yo lately and really should do a comparison tasting with all the others. The only one I have not open is the Redbreast 12yo but have a bottle on hand. I've been meaning to do so but just have not got round to it yet. Will post my results once the feat is completed

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWiskyChaser View Post
    That is the great thing about WHisk(e)y we all can get different things from them.
    Absolutely! And in all fairness, the Millenium was probably a pretty small batch affair which means the profile can easily change from bottle to bottle.

I still have an unopened bottle which I managed to lay my hands on last year, relatively cheaply. So far I haven´t been able to crack it open, knowing damn well that it will probably be the last one I open, unless I want to shell out a fortune for it.

Apprentice

Picked up a bottle of the Powers Gold Label last night. Found it very pleasant with good depth of flavor and none of the "wateriness" I dislike in similarly proofed bourbon. We've decided to make Red Breast a purchase in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Question: Remarks on this thread discuss the high proportion of pot-still character in the Powers. The finish of this whisky, while smooth, leaves me with a strong impression of GNS or vodka. Is that the "pot-still flavor" people are referring to, or is it the presence of the GNS mentioned as a component of this blend that I'm detecting?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What you are getting is the 20% grain whisky component, in my view. There is no grain neutral spirit in Powers as far as I know. The grain whisky lightens and "displays" the pure pot still element.

Personally, I like that finish, I think it lends style and panache to the pot still. On its own, pot still a la Irish can be a bit formidable unless the barrel or batch is perfectly pitched, which happens only rarely.

Gary

Apprentice

So should I expect more or less of that finish in the Red Breast? I have read that Red Breast is 100% pot-still; presumably that means less of the grain whiskey finish I'm detecting in the Powers?

That is right. Redbreast is 100% pure pot still. It has a rich, typically Irish "linseed oil" (saddlery, waxy) character with a marked sherry cask influence. Not my cup of tea, but reputed by many experts and enthusiasts.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Father&Son View Post
    ; presumably that means less of the grain whiskey finish
    It should mean no grain whiskey finish. In theory, at least.

I have the fullest respect for Gary´s tastebuds, but for some reason he doesn´t fancy Redbreast. It is my favourite Irish whiskey, though.

Although it has to be said that the experiences I´ve had with Green Spot (a younger pot still from the same distillery) makes me curious as to what a less sherry-influenced 12yo would taste like.

Lennert, thanks for your remarks. I find pure pot still one of the most challenging styles of traditional whiskey due to its marked waxy character. All the pure pot stills have it to a greater or lesser degree. I like it when the influence is only moderate, which I find in Green Spot, for example (or Powers) and counterpointed (but not too much) by other flavours.

As was mentioned recently by a new member of SB, Green Spot is not simply a younger version of Redbreast. They are formulated differently. I prefer the Green Spot formulation which attains a minty, "Juicy Fruit" character (this is a spearmint-flavoured chewing gum in North America). However I have been disenchanted with Green Spot in recent years because I find it too mature. I like it at about 8 years or perhaps less (whatever it was bottled at 5 years ago and more). Too much aging layers excessive wood over those flavours of mint and menthol.

But Redbreast is a different story. It is noticeably oily in texture and flavour - this is I believe a traditional Irish taste since the non-NAS Jamesons all have it, even single malt Bushmills has it to a degree! Sherry helps (which is why it is aged or finished in sherry barrels) but it doesn't cover over the taste completely.

I like Powers though which has some of that taste, but in a moderate way, and helped in this regard by its admixture of grain whisky.

Gary

Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we'll give the Red Breast a try rather than Black Bush or Jameson's 12 y/o. Black Bush and Jameson's 12 are both approximately the same price, and Red Breast sounds like it may give us the clearest expression of the pure pot still so we'll know if we like it. Thanks again. I'll post again after St. Patty's day!