Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: New here.

Novice

New here.

I just discovered this place but do not consider myself a bourbon expert. I have worked in the beverage/alcohol industry since 1973 when I joined SPAR, Inc. as a graphic designer. Fast forward to 2007, and I am still here at SPAR, and the other inmates let me think I run the place.

SPAR, Inc. was originally set up as the inhouse agency for the Sazerac Company back in 1957. Though still related to Sazerac (owned by Bill Goldring) SPAR is a free-standing agency serving numerous clients, mostly in beverage/alcohol. In fact Sazerac isn't even our biggest client anymore.

SPAR has a pretty solid reputation for package design, so it was natural that Buffalo Trace would choose us to help with their new identity and the BT KSBW package, a design we are particularly proud of. (There is a very interesting story behind its development I may tell one day.) We also designed the Antique Collection, Eagle Rare SBB, Sazerac Rye and Saz Jr, Nikolai, Rain, Weller 12, ET Lee, and Old Charter - plus a few others....

We love this industry. Half my wardrobe has the BT logo on it. I love a good sipping bourbon like BT, though only one or two a session is all my system can stand these days.

Born and raised in New Orleans (yes, we flooded in Katrina - pictures on the web site), I also love a good Sazerac Cocktail but have found good versions at only a few places even here in New Orleans. The best are at my home made with Sazerac Rye 18 YO. And no, you can't drop by for a visit!

I will be dropping in from time to time and picking up on some of the great info here and offer comments when appropriate.

Catahoula

www.sparadvertising.com

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Re: New here.

Just in case anyone else struggles with this.....I think KSBW means Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Welcome to the board!

Dawn

Disciple

Welcome to the forum.

I love your work!

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post

Born and raised in New Orleans (yes, we flooded in Katrina - pictures on the web site), I also love a good Sazerac Cocktail but have found good versions at only a few places even here in New Orleans. The best are at my home made with Sazerac Rye 18 YO. And no, you can't drop by for a visit!

Catahoula

www.sparadvertising.com
    Gee, that's too bad. You should see the cases of whiskey that get unloaded from vehicles when people around here drop by to visit

Welcome, and great work on the packaging
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I believe that I already was introduced to you in another thread, but nice to meet you anyway. Once again, great work on the packaging!! If you are ever in MY neck of the woods, you CAN stop by for a drink!

Novice

Didn't mean to sound inhospitable, but I am down to half a bottle of the Saz Rye 18 and there are a LOT of you. Ok, so maybe I am a bit selfish.

Now, if you want some BT, I have plenty of that.

Catahoula

Catahoula, welcome to the board! Another fan of your work, I have a FedEX package due to arrive today, it contains all the 06 Antique Collection, ETL, Saz JR, plus a few other bottles. Cant wait to get my hands on it!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Catahoula, welcome to the board! Another fan of your work, I have a FedEX package due to arrive today, it contains all the 06 Antique Collection, ETL, Saz JR, plus a few other bottles. Cant wait to get my hands on it!

Scott
    You gonna save it or drink it? Almost seems a shame to open them and then also a shame not to. Decisions, decisions!

Personally, I drink mine.

Catahoula

Quote Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
    You gonna save it or drink it? Almost seems a shame to open them and then also a shame not to. Decisions, decisions!

Personally, I drink mine.

Catahoula
    The ETL and Saz Jr are for drinking, I am also going to order more Saz. I will drink the antiques, but I will need an occasion and/or the right company to do so. They are just too hard to get in Australia!
    I got the bottles yesterday, did the ETL ever have a gold wax seal??

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    The ETL and Saz Jr are for drinking, I am also going to order more Saz. I will drink the antiques, but I will need an occasion and/or the right company to do so. They are just too hard to get in Australia!
    I got the bottles yesterday, did the ETL ever have a gold wax seal??

Scott
    It was wax prior to the current foil/plastic seal. I believe it changed about 18 mos or so ago.

JOE