Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Rebarreling Beam rye-plus: Preliminary Thoughts

Being that I'm of modest funds and space, I bought a 3 liter medium char barrel recently. Being that I'm a rye fiend I wish to rebarrel some form of rye.

Here's what spirits I have ready and my thoughts to go in the barrel:

Because it's such a small barrel I know it will age quickly. So I decided for the main bulk to be Beam rye. Not my favorite but cheap enough for the experiment. Plus it seems light enough in body that it might pick up some interesting flavors from the wood.

I did consider WT rye, however it is more expensive and (I'm guessing) already aged longer (or is it simply darker because it's 101 proof compared to Beam's 80 proof?). Regardless, that's what I have.

Actually, I purchased two liter bottles of the rye and am thinking to enhance it with a little of something else. Currently I'm sitting on a mostly full Old Potrero (18th Cent. style) that's 124.3 proof, which I feel may add a nice dimension and some extra ABV. Plus it was aged only three years or so, AND in uncharred barrels.

As for the final bit of spirit, I'm undecided. I may just go for more Beam rye.

Anyhow, my final thought is on the aging. The barrel is sitting by my west-facing window (the only one with direct sun) and I'm waiting for the season to change because then as the sun sets during the spring and summer months the sun hits the window and heats things up. I would have already barreled the stuff by now but figured I at least try and achieve some measure of temperature changes. I'm thinking due to the expectedly brief time in the barrel I'd attempt to duplicate seasonal temperatures by ulitlizing day/night temperatures. A micro-aging, if you will.

That's all for now. I'm open to any thoughts, questions, and suggestions from those who've rebarreled or not.

A closing question: I'm I just thinking too hard about this? Is such a small barrel going to "get spent" a lot faster than I hope?

Cheers,
    Lear
    Last edited by jinenjo; 01-26-2007 at 21:31.

Disciple

Re: Rebarreling Beam rye-plus: Preliminary Thoughts

Sounds like a nice experiment. Good idea on adding the higher proof Old Potrero, as long as it is not too precious to use.

If you can afford it how about topping up with WT Rye? At 101 proof it wouldn't dilute things. And you should have some left so you would have a nice rye to drink while it starts aging.

ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Re: Rebarreling Beam rye plus: Preliminary Thoughts

One thing you didn't mention, which I'm sure you have done, is preparing your barrel. Fill it up with water for like 24 hours, and make sure it has no leaks.

I'm with Ed, use the 101 Turkey Rye, or even for a little more, Saz Jr.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    One thing you didn't mention, which I'm sure you have done, is preparing your barrel. Fill it up with water for like 24 hours, and make sure it has no leaks.

I'm with Ed, use the 101 Turkey Rye, or even for a little more, Saz Jr.

Scott
    The barrel instructions say three days with water. I can't afford leaks, that's for sure.

As for the last amount I actually was considering Turkey Rye or the Saz Jr, since I won't be dumping the full bottles in there but it'll surely add more depth to the vatting. Rittenhouse BIB was another consideration.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    The barrel instructions say three days with water. I can't afford leaks, that's for sure.

As for the last amount I actually was considering Turkey Rye or the Saz Jr, since I won't be dumping the full bottles in there but it'll surely add more depth to the vatting. Rittenhouse BIB was another consideration.
    If you want to add some real depth, throw some Thomas H. Handy in there. I think that would be real interesting. I have been wanting to try a rebarrel with Bookers, but talk about an expensive experiment....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy View Post
    If you want to add some real depth, throw some Thomas H. Handy in there. .
    That might give me an excuse to open the bottle of Handy I've been sitting on for over a month...

My hesitation would be that it's already too old. Not that 10 yr. old rye (or however old Handy may be) is bad, it's just I want to see if I can bring some barrel aging traits to the young stuff.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy View Post
    If you want to add some real depth, throw some Thomas H. Handy in there. I think that would be real interesting. I have been wanting to try a rebarrel with Bookers, but talk about an expensive experiment....
    Now that sounds interesting! It would be expensive, but with a three liter barrel, it might be doable. I don't think you would have to fill it completely full. How much did your barrel cost, Jinenjo?

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

I got it on from the Old World Barrel Co. for around $50. Good deal!

Connoisseur

Lear,

Let me be the first to offer you a sever and complete arse kickin' if you dump Thomas Handy rye into a rebarel project!

IMHO, the object of rebarreling is to help a good whisky or blend of good whiskies get better or become different...

Why would anyone want to change Thomas Handy Rye? ...in any way shape or form?

I mean really!!!

dp

BTW, bring that THR over to my place and i'll give your three Rittenhouse bib's for it!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Unholy Casablanca Lear!!! Please, PLEASE don't put the Handy in this one. I just have to say that I got Dog's back in this arse whoopin' (we say whoopin' in the South) if you dump the Handy in!! Seriously, you can do whatever you want, it's your experiment and dollar, but IMHO, take the Dog's advice, or stay with your first instincts.

Tell us how it goes!

JOE