Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

$25 Rock Hill Farms

I've never had RHF, but I have found a store nearby that has one bottle priced at $26. I'm looking at the bottle, and I'm not sure... It is an older bottling, but it's not in the box and there's no gold chain. The glue strip where the plastic gold piece should be stuck to the front of the bottle is there. There is a plastic seal around the neck of the bottle, but it is plain plastic, no colored strip of paper/labeling. This is a low-rent store with two bottles that cost more than JB Black: this Rock Hill Farms and a single bottle of Hancock's Reserve, also priced at $25.99. I'm trying to decide if perhaps the whiskey in this bottle is not the whiskey that was originally in the bottle, and if it's worth my money. Having not looked at older bottlings, I'm not sure if what I'm looking at is what the bottle should look like (obviously, I know the cheesy gold decor should be there, but the plastic on the neck?). I just don't trust that price, even if it's old stock they want to unload (after all, their Cabin Still from the early 90s is still $29.99 for a 1.75L). Thoughts?

Advanced Taster

Re: $25 Rock Hill Farms

i'd buy all i could from these guys. the prices are pretty crazy, but i've never heard of somone putting different whiskey in bottles. i'd look at the old cabin bottles to see if they're stitzel-weller whiskey, if not i'd probably buy em anyway.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Disciple

I would buy both the RHF and the Hancocks as those prices are excellent!

Thomas

Advanced Taster

$26 isn't bad for RHF... I payed $40 for my bottle, and still think it was worth it. Great stuff.

Guru

I'd grab the RHF at that price. I'd pass on the Hancock... it's not bad, by any means --- but it's somewhat of odd duck in the BT line-up. There are so many other / better choices out there.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    it's somewhat of odd duck in the BT line-up.
    I think thats how I described it when I had it a while back, odd. It's definitely worth trying, I certainly didn't not like it and it seems to be held in somewhat high regard by a good number of people here. Besides, at that price you really can't go wrong, I think I paid $45 for the one I had and I don't recall ever seeing it cheaper anywhere.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

Buy it, But it all.

The art of bunkering was made for such occasions
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

I'll buy the RHF. I've found the Cabin Still cheaper elsewhere. And the Hancock's Reserve? Well, other than the packaging, little about it interests me. Plus, $25.99 is a bottle of OGD114 (hard to beat) or ETL, in both cases with some money left over.

Novice

We redesigned the RHF package for BT back in about 2002, so it has not had the chain and medallion since then. I believe the original package had just a clear plastic shrink seal for pilfer evidence. If that is still intact the product should be good. It sounds like it is just a damaged bottle of the older design. That might explain the cost. If so it is a bargain!

Catahoula