Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Rebarreling Beam Rye-plus

The following is a continuation from the General Bourbon Discussion page:

Doug, perhaps you can help me on this. For your scotch rebarreling you added a good amount of GNS before going into the barrel. Why didn't you do this to increase the entry proof of your Ancient Age experiment?

What I'm wondering for my rebarreling is if I should add some GNS. I'm hesitant. That's one reason why I've decided to throw in the OP. Not only is it a fine distillate, but it's pure rye. I want the rye whiskey effect as an end result.

This feels all a tad silly to be thinking so precisely. I don't know what'll come out the other end, using such a small barrel and all...

More to come on this, but not for a little while as I'm waiting for the sunlight to come through my window in the spring/summer (more silliness?).

Any comments are more than welcome!

-Lear

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Rebarreling Beam Rye-plus

I'm not sure of Doug's entire reasoning, but I do know that there is a bit of a problem obtaining 190 proof GNS in CA. I hand-delivered it to him since I was driving in...though it does seem to be available in Needles, CA., but they likely get it from a AZ distributor as 190 proof spirits are banned in CA.

The 190 allowed him to boost the proof without adding as much water as the 150ish proof stuff would, thereby maintaining the flavor profile as much as possible.

That's as much as I know, Doug will have to give any further info.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    ...as 190 proof spirits are banned in CA.

Actually, I believe that this is incorrect. Every BevMo I have been to stocks it. Aswell as several other stores I can think of locally, along with every military base.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy View Post
    Actually, I believe that this is incorrect. Every BevMo I have been to stocks it. Aswell as several other stores I can think of locally, along with every military base.
    I believe the version sold here is a 150 proof not 190 version Jeremy...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I believe the version sold here is a 150 proof not 190 version Jeremy...

I am quite sure that it is 190. I stopped on base to check our store and on base it is 195 ( ). I am going to BevMo tonight for some wines, I will check.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the insight into your thought process, Doug. I shall take everything into serious (not silly) consideratin before I begin.

After all, your rebarreling experiments were the inspiration for this endeavor of mine.
    You shall be rewarded...

Keep the comments coming!

-Lear

Enthusiast

Oops!

Well I began the rebarrel project. And I think I made the mistake of adding the barrel proof Old Potrero. It seems my palette has grown quite accustomed to straight rye and the small amount I added of the OP (only 8-10 ounces) may have thrown off the whole thing.

I did do some sampling before I entered the vatting to be aged, but I guess I really wanted some extra proof in there because I still proceeded to add the above amount of the malted rye of OP.

Then in a frenzy to adjust back toward a more straight rye profile, I went and added nearly two full bottles of baby Saz to the 2L Beam Rye in the 3L barrel.

I just tasted it after a week and am not sure what to think. Part of me thought to add straight bourbon to give it some corn flavor to balance out the rye thing going on. At this point I'm gonna let it age for as long as I can and I'll just see what happens.

It's been a learning experience, and I'll just chalk it up to that. Looking back already I should've just used all Beam rye.

Oh well.

-Lear
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

Re: Oops!

There are going to be lots of changes happening over the next months. I would wait on making lots of tweaks up front.

I did a WT Rye rebarrel and it started off slow, then once i got some heat/cold cycles going things started happening. At one point I thought it was getting too much wood flavor....well I waited more weeks and it eventually passed and it became less woody and I started to get some really nice toasted notes.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement. Because of the less fluctuations in temperature here in NorCal, I have on a few days induced somewhat artificial temperature fluctuations by putting the barrel in my car with direct sunlight where the car temp gets pretty hot, then at night I bring the barrel inside and put it by an open window to cool off.

Roger (Rughi) was telling me the small size of my barrel (3 liters) will rapidly advance the wood influence. However, I'd like to see if I can follow your experience and push through any stronger wood influence to see what might come afterward. It's all an experiment so why not push it to see what happens? Part of me would like to push it as far as I can.

I had this odd dream the other night or perhaps it was a fantasy--perhaps induced by some pours of Elijah Craig 18--as I was going to bed. I don't know. But what I was thinking was that the older versions of bourbon or rye were kept deeper in the warehouses, not exposed as much to the more extreme changing temperatures as say, younger bottles expressions placed toward the periphery.

Is this true? Should I just let the barrel sit by my window and be exposed to less temperature changes and just age for a long time?

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

Cheers,
    Lear
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

I am in norcal and had a similiar experience. When I started the temperature was not warm and not much happened over the first month except picking up some wood flavor.

Once i did get some sun/heat on it things started happening quickly. I think you need some good sun/heat cycles to really see how things are going to go.

What I did, was once the sun came out, I would move the barrel (5 gal) out on the lawn in the morning, then at night bring it inside. I could tell when I came home that the bourbon had started getting into the wood as the bunghole would have whiskey stains on it. Each day i would get those fresh whiskey stains.

I think you are fine right now, try to get it out in some sun/heat while the sun is out during the day. Norcal cools down very nicely at night to bring the whiskey back out.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski