Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: American Sandwichiana

Both great additions, many thanks. I am sure in the 1800's these would have been consumed with glasses of rye whiskey or a not well-aged bourbon, maybe chilled (or maybe with mint juleps or similar). Baltimore being one of the great homes of rye whiskey, I think ways were found to pair it with the fine crab dishes of the area.

The Po Boy etymology is fascinating.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Lets not forget the Pittsburgh, Original Primanti Brothers Sandwich. It contains your choice of grilled meat, vinegar based cole slaw, cheese, 2 slices of tomato and French fries all stuffed between 2 slices of thick Italian bread. I am getting hungry just thinking about it and when I added the pictures, well, it looks like and early lunch for me.

Howie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primanti Grill.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	3652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Primanti Sandwiches.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	3653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Mans Gotta Eat.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	3654  
    Some people see the glass as half empty, others half full,I prefer to drink straight from the bottle

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoopsie View Post
    Lets not forget the Pittsburgh, Original Primanti Brothers Sandwich. It contains your choice of grilled meat, vinegar based cole slaw, cheese, 2 slices of tomato and French fries all stuffed between 2 slices of thick Italian bread. I am getting hungry just thinking about it and when I added the pictures, well, it looks like and early lunch for me.

Howie
    Now, THAT'S a sandwich! Sheeze, looks like you could hurt yourself eating that one. Does look good, though.

JOE

Thanks Howie! While that big glass of chilled Coke looks perfect with this, I could see those flasks people keep talking about on SB being brought into service in such cases. Since we're talking Pittsburgh, Old Overholt sounds right!

In Toronto, a number of Greek restaurants serve the classic souvlaki (sometimes called a gyro sandwich - I never understood the difference in terminology) and include a few French fries in the sandwich. I have never seen that anywhere else, but here we have an example from Pittsburgh with a different type of sandwich.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

In Paris I got to experience the Grec Avec Frites, shaved lamb on a bun with choices of sauce and "salad"-lettuce and tomato, all topped with an order of fries.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

And the French jibe at American fast food, whaa..?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The lobster roll of Maine and the Maritime Provinces deserves mention. It is lobster chunks and celery (maybe some other veggies) held together with a mild, creamy dressing and served on a hot dog bun. They are so ubiquitous, McDonalds serves them.

The difference between a souvlaki and a gyros is that the souvlaki meat is lamb chunks cooked on a skewer, i.e., basic shish kabob. In Greece, the gyros is slices of lamb stacked vertically on a large spit and roasted so that as the edges of the slices are sheered off, one side is seared well done, while the other is still rare. In the U.S., a huge log of pressed, chopped lamb and beef is used in a similar fashion. In Greece, the meat come off in little bite-size chunks, while the U.S. version is long, thin slices of meat.

In Chicago, you are always within sight of a gyros stand and most serve souvlaki as well.

There is a local chain here in Chicago called Ricobene's. Their specialty is the Italian Breaded Steak Sandwich. It is a rather large piece of, I believe, chuck steak, well tenderized but not ground, that is breaded and deep fried similar to chicken-fried steak. It is served on an Italian roll and topped with tomato sauce and your choice of cheese, onions, peppers, etc. The chain also has pizza, but the breaded steak sandwich is their specialty.

I have experienced french fries as a sandwich topped in several places, most notably Romania. In South Carolina, cole slaw is a typical topping for hot dogs. Yes, a topping, not a side dish.

Although the original po boy is like a sub, with cold cuts, I prefer the oyster po boy.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-02-2007 at 16:08.

Gary, this thread and the chilly temperatures here tonight (low in the teens predicted) remind me, too, of what my Mom simply called a 'hot beef sandwich' while I was growing up in snowy, SW Michigan. Sometimes also made with turkey, it is/was an open-faced concoction made of two slices of white bread laid out on a plate, topped with sliced meat, sided by mashed potatoes (yes, Dan Quayle was both right and wrong -- the 'e' is correct, though optional!), all smothered with brown gravy.
    I know this isn't an entirely regional dish, as I've found it elsewhere, too. It used to be a standard in the 24-hour coffee shops in Las Vegas back when I started going out there in the early/mid-'80s.
    Wouldn't mind having one right now, though.
    Tim

Guru

Tim,
    Your description of the hot beef sandwich is made all the time here in Pennsylvania Dutch Country and has been for all of my 63 years and probably long before that. Yummy. I eat em all the time.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Gary, this thread and the chilly temperatures here tonight (low in the teens predicted) remind me, too, of what my Mom simply called a 'hot beef sandwich' while I was growing up in snowy, SW Michigan. Sometimes also made with turkey, it is/was an open-faced concoction made of two slices of white bread laid out on a plate, topped with sliced meat, sided by mashed potatoes (yes, Dan Quayle was both right and wrong -- the 'e' is correct, though optional!), all smothered with brown gravy.
    I know this isn't an entirely regional dish, as I've found it elsewhere, too. It used to be a standard in the 24-hour coffee shops in Las Vegas back when I started going out there in the early/mid-'80s.
    Wouldn't mind having one right now, though.
    yup, that is classic comfort food,... Used to be a staple at the old-time diners.
    Beef or turkey, they were both great.