Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

Ah February, the season of romance. An opportunity for lovers to rekindle the passions and desires that brought them together. It is a time for reflection and rediscovery. We are all gathered here today to join in a common devotion: an appreciation for aqua vitae; the American eau de vie that is Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. A good bourbon allows us to exchange, for a moment, our individual life issues for friendship and conversation. But when it's a great bourbon, a cruel mistress she can be. Your thoughts infected with the memories of that last sip, and an uneasy feeling that you may never again find as good a bottle, or be able to afford it. But she is worth every penny, and in the end you would pay twice as much for her company. Such is the nature of the bourbonian.

In honor of February and our love affair with fine bourbon, Straightbourbon.com is recognizing one of our favorites as bourbon of the month: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo.

Like the old Maker's Mark ad states, "It tastes expensive, and is." While superb bourbon in its own right, it is made that much better by our friendship with Julian and his openness with Straightbourbon.com. While most of us would agree that any Stitzel-Weller is good whiskey, Pappy 20 is something special. Not long for this world in its current form, Pappy 20 is like tasting history, hearkening back to good ol' days long gone. I have had the pleasure of enjoying a drink of Pappy 20 with Julian and many of my friends from Straightbourbon.com. I hope to enjoy one with the rest of you soon.

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 02-02-2007 at 13:04.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

I have about 20% of PVW20yo left in the bottle I opened Christmas weekend. I think I will finish it off this weekend since it is this month's choice.
    The first time I had a PVW20yo was October '05 at The Tavern in Bardstown, KY.
    To rephrase the St. Pauli Girl beer ad, "You never forget your first Pappy."
    Last edited by bobbyc; 02-02-2007 at 06:30. Reason: change date

Connoisseur

It's been several months since I last had any 20. I keep up in a closet securely tucked away for special occassions. Today wasn't special, but I figured that with the addition of Pappy 20 it would be, so I pulled it out. It was very tasty. I had forgotten how smooth it is, until that first sip, went down beautifully. Always does.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Advanced Taster

Not to nitpick, but the title says 2/04, maybe its supposed to be 2/07?

I wish the PVW products didnt cost so much, otherwise I'd be able to paticipate in this months BOTM. Just out of curiosity, what did y'all pay for the PVW 20?

Eric

Well, I was about to try another Kentucky 'delicacy' -- rye and ginger beer (though not Ale 8 One) -- for the first time, but I'm no fool: you don't need to give me a second excuse, Jeff, to pour the Pappy 20.
    The 20 has many favorites for me: I think it's color -- just past the red/orange of amber, beginning to brown -- just looks like bourbon ought to look; you don't have to stick your nose in the glass to note the brown sugar/white pepper, cotton candy nose, but neither does it overpower, never becoming 'spirit-y'; the burnt caramel palate that cuts the wheat sweetness to perfectly balance it.
    Let's face it -- $90 is a lot to spend on a bottle of bourbon, especially when you don't have to spend that much to find one that's quite enjoyable. Julian gives us a consistent, substantive quality here that gives us an excuse to do it anyway. I'll try to put a few back a few Stitzel-Weller bottlings while they exist. I'll miss it when it's gone.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 02-02-2007 at 08:22. Reason: change date
    Tim

Taster

I gave a bottle of Pappy 20 to a friend for Xmas. We shared much of it over the holidays but he left it at my house. I can't drink it without him because it was a gift. So I'm keeping it around, and it's no fun staring at such great bourbon every day but not being able to touch it. Truly awesome stuff.
    Last edited by bobbyc; 02-02-2007 at 06:29. Reason: change date

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, I as about to try another Kentucky 'delicacy' -- rye and ginger beer (though not Ale 8 One) -- for the first time, but I'm no fool: you don't need to give me a second excuse, Jeff, to pour the Pappy 20.
    The 20 has many favorites for me: I think it's color -- just past the red/orange of amber, beginning to brown -- just looks like bourbon ought to look; you don't have to stick your nose in the glass to note the brown sugar/white pepper, cotton candy nose, but neither does it overpower, never becoming 'spirit-y'; the burnt caramel palate that cuts the wheat sweetness to perfectly balance it.
    Let's face it -- $90 is a lot to spend on a bottle of bourbon, especially when you don't have to spend that much to find one that's quite enjoyable. Julian gives us a consistent, substantive quality here that gives us an excuse to do it anyway. I'll try to put a few back a few Stitzel-Weller bottlings while they exist. I'll miss it when it's gone.
    Please educate me, where are the Stitzel-Weller bottlings going to? I did not know they were going extinct? If so, I will be hugging the last three bottles of Pappy 20 very close! which other bottlings are Stitzel-Weller? Thanks in advance.
    Russellc

Enthusiast

Hey Jeff:
    Your post reminds me of something. That ad slogan, "Tastes expensive and is" was "borrowed" by MM after we sold the still in 1972. It was originally used in 50's & 60's advertising by my Dad for Old Fitz. We also used the phrase, "The most expensively made bourbon in the world".
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    Please educate me, where are the Stitzel-Weller bottlings going to? I did not know they were going extinct? If so, I will be hugging the last three bottles of Pappy 20 very close! which other bottlings are Stitzel-Weller? Thanks in advance.
    Russellc
    Stitzel-Weller Distillery ceased operating in June 1992. Thus, after June 2012 there will be no more S-W bourbon turning 20 years old.
    Now, Julian has the option -- if there's any left -- of using older-than-20 S-W in Pappy 20; or selecting barrels from other places, like he's done by putting Bernheim whiskey in Lot B, for example; waiting for/using the Buffalo Trace distillate that is in the pipeline; or discontinuing the brand. I don't know what's going to happen (perhaps even Julian doesn't know what's going to happen yet, as that's 5 years down the road -- though I think what happens to the Pappy 15 after this year will be a clue), but the S-W won't last forever, in any case.
    To date, the trio of Pappy bottlings -- 15-, 20- and 23-year-old -- remains Stitzel-Weller.
    Tim

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Stitzel-Weller Distillery ceased operating in June 1992. Thus, after June 2012 there will be no more S-W bourbon turning 20 years old.
    Now, Julian has the option -- if there's any left -- of using older-than-20 S-W in Pappy 20; or selecting barrels from other places, like he's done by putting Bernheim whiskey in Lot B, for example; waiting for/using the Buffalo Trace distillate that is in the pipeline; or discontinuing the brand. I don't know what's going to happen (perhaps even Julian doesn't know what's going to happen yet, as that's 5 years down the road -- though I think what happens to the Pappy 15 after this year will be a clue), but the S-W won't last forever, in any case.
    To date, the trio of Pappy bottlings -- 15-, 20- and 23-year-old -- remains Stitzel-Weller.
    Thanks for the info, are the 15, 20 and 23 year old all the S-W makes? I guess I will put back the pappys I have on hand until this mess works out.
    The world will be a sadder place without these fine bourbons!

Thanks again,
    Russellc