Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

I just sent Julian a PM on 1/31/07 asking how much longer the Pappy 15 would contain SW. He stated that Pappy 15 will indeed be SW through the end of this year and maybe through early 2008. Who was that "little birdie"?

Connoisseur

This is correspondence between Julian and myself from today.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanwinkle
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashPuppy
    Julian,

I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person yet, but I highly admire both yourself and your whiskey's. It is because of my admiration that I write this. In chat last night it came up that PVW15 now is not strictly SW stock. Is this true? I thought the whole point of switching to the Pappy line was so we (bourbon purists) could distinctly tell what was SW?

I know that there are a lot of people, who were in chat last night, that are now scratching our heads trying figure this out.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your response.
    Last year, we were short of SW barrels so we had to use some BT 1991 barrels. They were great & I could not tell the difference between them.
    That's good news for down the road.
    Julian

I have no problem with that -- if Julian can't tell the difference, I doubt I will. And, the bourbon IS the thing. That said, however, it would be nice to know.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I have no problem with that -- if Julian can't tell the difference, I doubt I will. And, the bourbon IS the thing. That said, however, it would be nice to know.
    That is true, however, what about the Bernhiem that will eventually have to roll through the series? Sure the BT stuff might be up to snuff, but likely there isn't enough of that to support Weller and VW currently, so the Bernhiem will hit the bottles eventually, and reports are mixed on that product.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Lightbulb Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

If the number of posts/replies are any indication, this month's BOTM will be a very popular choice comparitively speaking. So far, this will be the 24th posting on the thread. The last 2 BOTM selections - Dec 06 and Jan 07 respectively - have a combined total of 68 posts thus far. Thru only the first 2 days of February, Pappy 20 has attracted over 1/3 of that combined Dec & Jan total - and, almost as many (31) as last month's selection has received to date.

Yes indeed, a great and very popular bourbon - and a most excellent choice for February's BOTM.

Enthusiast

I most definitely have to add my (first) posting to this BOTM. Funny, that today I bought my first bottle of Pappy 20! What serendipity. After learning more about Stitzel Weller (I have, in trade, an original "Weller 12yo" on it's way) my curiousity got the best of me--for the better. I had to get some Pappy. My bottle cost me $79+tax. There was the 15 for $36, which I'm heading back for after my next paycheck.

At any rate, on to the bourbon. The chocolatey goodness just exudes from this spirit! I think I prefer the older stuff. Now if I can only muster up the dough for the 23.

Cheers to Julian!

-Lear

I was looking for an excuse to open my Pappy 20 this weekend, and I think I just found it. Maybe later on tonight!!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Don't panic!

The main thing about any whiskey that says "Van Winkle" on it is that Julian picks them and until he gives me a reason not to, I will trust his palate.

There is no reason to assume that Bernheim whiskey will have to be in the mix, ever. BT didn't just start making wheated bourbon when Julian got there, as the existence of 1991 vintage BT wheat confirms. That's also not to say that Bernheim whiskey is something necessarily to be avoided.

There is still a lot of "dusty" S-W whiskey out there, often at bargain (i.e., original) prices. Some of it's so-so, some of it's good, some of it's great. That's the adventure.

I'm as responsible as anyone for making S-W whiskey some kind of holy grail and, yes, it will run out and, yes, having some in your bunker for enjoyment in your golden years is a good strategy if you have the means. As with all good things, you can never have enough.

Another point. S-W is still there. It hasn't been dismantled. Diageo owns it. Smart people who love bourbon and love this industry keep looking for ways to get it going again. That still looks like a long shot, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

So let's all take a deep breath and enjoy our S-W.

Drink 'em if you've got 'em.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Drink 'em if you've got 'em.
    How do I know if I have SW bourbon or not? I have a Pappy 15 I bought 2 months ago and a Pappy 20 I bought about 3 months ago. I also have 6 Pappy 15's on their way from Binny's as we speak. This last purchase was based on Julian's response to me on 1/31/07 that the Pappy 15 would contain SW bourbon through the end of this year and maybe into 2008 as well. Now I have no clue what I have in my bottles....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    How do I know if I have SW bourbon or not? I have a Pappy 15 I bought 2 months ago and a Pappy 20 I bought about 3 months ago. I also have 6 Pappy 15's on their way from Binny's as we speak. This last purchase was based on Julian's response to me on 1/31/07 that the Pappy 15 would contain SW bourbon through the end of this year and maybe into 2008 as well. Now I have no clue what I have in my bottles....
    The Pappy 20 is SW. The Pappy 15's.... Nodbody knows. Nobody can tell you. Not even Julian.