Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

Contact Buffalo Trace. They, at least, will be able to tell you which stores near you got some and they may know who near you, if anyone, still has some.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FMF DOC View Post
    I purchased a bottle of 20 yo for my homecoming from Iraq, which I can't wait to try! Can anyone tell me where I can order some William Larue Weller, Fall 06 Release. I did have access to the internet when it came out and know I can't find it anywhere. Thanks
    Welcome back, Doc, and thank you for your service! The '06 is hard to find, but I just saw the '05 last week at the Frugal MacDougal's in South Carolina, just south of Charlotte, if you're interested. I-77, (exit 1?). Store is on the right.

Cheers!

JOE

Guru

Welcome home & thanks so much for your service to all of us.

Good luck on finding the WLW '06... it went fast.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Please accept my belated thanks for your service to our country.

I hope you enjoy the Pappy. IMO the 15 y/o bottling is also superb -- and a better deal for the money.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Please accept my belated thanks for your service to our country.
    Ditto, Tom V
    Last edited by jeff; 03-03-2007 at 02:43.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    Ditto, Tom V
    I remember Frugal MacDougal from my time in Charlotte...quite a place with a huge selection. Good hunting, welcome back, and SEMPER FI Doc!!!

USMC 1981-1988, 0311/0321, last: B Co., 2d Recon Bn., 2d Mar. Div., FMFLANT

Made a good buy on a solar stock a few months ago....

sold it today with a nice gain... decided to celibrate by getting the last bottle of 20y at bevmo. (last bottle in my area as far as i can tell, online.)

yet to open it. just looking at the bottle.... might be one of the last ever.

I will take it in baby steps.

I posted this on beginner's forum - figured I would cross post here if that is OK:

Well, I'll probably get banned from the board from saying this, but here goes. I went ahead and took one poster's advice and bought the Old Granddad 114. I also got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 y/o, because I have heard so many raves about it - it was only $80 at the store I went to. So I did a head to head and added in the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Well, I am afraid I was a little disappointed with the PVW. It had a great nose - woody and leather, really rich. But the taste was also woody and leather, with some corn and a buttery mouthfeel. I could really taste the oak, which I didn't like. It was like a rich Chardonnay wine, with that buttery oaky taste and feel - unfortunately I prefer a crisp Reisling or Sauvigon Blanc. Maybe I should just pour a dab of PVW once in awhile and just smell it for an hour

The Old Granddad on the other hand was really nice - a far fainter nose - burnt sugar/caramel, with a little bit of cinnamon. The taste was similar - I liked it best of these three, I will have to compare it against the Antique next time. I guess I just like cheap booze! The same thing happens with scotch - I buy some expensive stuff to try but I keep going back to Laphroig if I want something peaty or Dalmore if I don't - both are less than $35 where I am. I will try some other suggestions and report back soon.

Guru

No one around here will dispute the proposition that it's possible to over-age bourbon. However, the discussion regarding how much is too much can get interesting.

I happen to prefer the PVW 15 y/o to the 20 y/o. (I don't think it's from the same stock, but that's beside the point.)

I have one bottle of an 18 y/o VW special bottling, which I remember as the best of the lot.

I'm limiting myself to 25 ml. a week right now; I think I'll revisit some of my older VW bottlings during the next few weeks.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I'm limiting myself to 25 ml. a week right now; I think I'll revisit some of my older VW bottlings during the next few weeks.
    Is that 25ml of Pappy? That's understandable.
    25ml of Bourbon--that's restraint!
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb