Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

I like anything "Van Winkle", including the 20 y/o. It may be overpriced when compared to the 15 y/o though. A great pour.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the title says 2/04, maybe its supposed to be 2/07?

I wish the PVW products didnt cost so much, otherwise I'd be able to paticipate in this months BOTM. Just out of curiosity, what did y'all pay for the PVW 20?

Eric
    I have been extremely lucky Pappy wise this season. Since christmas, I have been personally responsible for the demise of 3 bottles of the 20 year, and have 3 more in storage. Here, it costs about 75 bucks a bottle. One of our local stores had january as customer appreciation month, and I bought the last three at about 65 bucks a bottle. I am holding on a little more carefully to these last three, but it sure was fun drinking the first three like there was no tommorrow!

russellc
    Last edited by bobbyc; 02-02-2007 at 07:35. Reason: change date

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, I as about to try another Kentucky 'delicacy' -- rye and ginger beer (though not Ale 8 One) -- for the first time, but I'm no fool: you don't need to give me a second excuse, Jeff, to pour the Pappy 20.
    The 20 has many favorites for me: I think it's color -- just past the red/orange of amber, beginning to brown -- just looks like bourbon ought to look; you don't have to stick your nose in the glass to note the brown sugar/white pepper, cotton candy nose, but neither does it overpower, never becoming 'spirit-y'; the burnt caramel palate that cuts the wheat sweetness to perfectly balance it.
    Let's face it -- $90 is a lot to spend on a bottle of bourbon, especially when you don't have to spend that much to find one that's quite enjoyable. Julian gives us a consistent, substantive quality here that gives us an excuse to do it anyway. I'll try to put a few back a few Stitzel-Weller bottlings while they exist. I'll miss it when it's gone.
    Please educate me, where are the Stitzel-Weller bottlings going to? I did not know they were going extinct? If so, I will be hugging the last three bottles of Pappy 20 very close! which other bottlings are Stitzel-Weller? Thanks in advance.
    Russellc

Enthusiast

Hey Jeff:
    Your post reminds me of something. That ad slogan, "Tastes expensive and is" was "borrowed" by MM after we sold the still in 1972. It was originally used in 50's & 60's advertising by my Dad for Old Fitz. We also used the phrase, "The most expensively made bourbon in the world".
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    Please educate me, where are the Stitzel-Weller bottlings going to? I did not know they were going extinct? If so, I will be hugging the last three bottles of Pappy 20 very close! which other bottlings are Stitzel-Weller? Thanks in advance.
    Russellc
    Stitzel-Weller Distillery ceased operating in June 1992. Thus, after June 2012 there will be no more S-W bourbon turning 20 years old.
    Now, Julian has the option -- if there's any left -- of using older-than-20 S-W in Pappy 20; or selecting barrels from other places, like he's done by putting Bernheim whiskey in Lot B, for example; waiting for/using the Buffalo Trace distillate that is in the pipeline; or discontinuing the brand. I don't know what's going to happen (perhaps even Julian doesn't know what's going to happen yet, as that's 5 years down the road -- though I think what happens to the Pappy 15 after this year will be a clue), but the S-W won't last forever, in any case.
    To date, the trio of Pappy bottlings -- 15-, 20- and 23-year-old -- remains Stitzel-Weller.
    Tim

Apprentice

Stitzel-Weller Distillery ceased operating in June 1992. Thus, after June 2012 there will be no more S-W bourbon turning 20 years old.
    Now, Julian has the option -- if there's any left -- of using older-than-20 S-W in Pappy 20; or selecting barrels from other places, like he's done by putting Bernheim whiskey in Lot B, for example; waiting for/using the Buffalo Trace distillate that is in the pipeline; or discontinuing the brand. I don't know what's going to happen (perhaps even Julian doesn't know what's going to happen yet, as that's 5 years down the road -- though I think what happens to the Pappy 15 after this year will be a clue), but the S-W won't last forever, in any case.
    To date, the trio of Pappy bottlings -- 15-, 20- and 23-year-old -- remains Stitzel-Weller.
    Thanks for the info, are the 15, 20 and 23 year old all the S-W makes? I guess I will put back the pappys I have on hand until this mess works out.
    The world will be a sadder place without these fine bourbons!

Thanks again,
    Russellc

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I think the clue here is what happened with the Lot B, no markings to indicate any changes. At least with the letters on VWFRR you could estimate the age, but with the others, nothing. Looks like we'll still have Pappy, no matter what's in the bottle, for better or worse.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I hate to "pop the bunkering bubble"......but a little "birdie" told me that there is some Pappy 15 out there that does NOT have SW whiskey in it. Rumor has it that some bottles of Pappy 15 have been released with Bernheim distillate in the bottle. Maybe Julian can clarify?

Dawn

Connoisseur

Well, before I read the full topic I thought to myself ďGreat! A reason to pour some more of the PVW15!Ē but alas the thread is for the 20. A good selection nonetheless, this one looks redder to me than the others so it goes with the month (itís probably just the lighter color of the whiskey and all the red on the label though). Since I only have 1 of these Iím leaving it sealed, itís a great bourbon that is comparable to few.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    I hate to "pop the bunkering bubble"......but a little "birdie" told me that there is some Pappy 15 out there that does NOT have SW whiskey in it. Rumor has it that some bottles of Pappy 15 have been released with Bernheim distillate in the bottle. Maybe Julian can clarify?
    Oh man, say it ain't so! I had some of this socked away and I opened it a couple of weeks ago minutes after procuring a replacement. I'm sure if some are not SW then those are the ones I got. :/ I never thought Iíd say this but lucky for me my sense of taste doesn't appear to be nearly as sharp as that of many others here.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

I shared the sentiment that started the thread with my dear wife, that February being romance month and all that. Suggested that a bottle of Pappy 20 would be oh so nice...

She said nothing and stared at the complete BTAC including the Thomas B Handy and a bonus bottle of Saz Jr. that she gave me for Christmas.

When I told her, " That was last month"...

Good thing that I ducked.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.