Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

By chance I found a bottle of Pappy 20 yo last month in Little Rock. Now it's the BOTM. I agree with all the good things said about it. When I had some on the day I bought the bottle, I got notes of a candy - not so much chocolate, more like wild cherry cough drops. Today I'm getting chocolate covered cherries. I've filled a couple of 50ml empties with this to take to KBF this year. Last year Julian gave me a pour from a bottle that his Granddad made - I think it was VVOF, but I'm not sure. At the time I told him it was the best bourbon I ever tasted. If he brings it again this year I want to compare it with the RVW 20. I've been wondering how to expand my knowledge of bourbon. I think I'm going to buy whatever the BOTM is each month, that should increase my bourbon supply and increase my knowledge at the same time. One exception is that I'm on the lookout for RVW 23 yo. So I don't have to much sticker shock, how much should I expect to pay for the 23 yo?

Stu

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    So I don't have to much sticker shock, how much should I expect to pay for the 23 yo?

Stu
    $200-$300.

Administrator in exile

$185 in Lexington, though it usually sells out in a matter of hours. Get to know a retailer on a personal level, that's your best shot.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Ever since the Thirsty Traveler raved about this stuff I wanted to try it, and about a year ago I picked up a bottle. I generally keep this for special occasions for obvious reasons. While in a side by side tasting this is not my favorite pour, it is an excellent bourbon and I enjoy it every time I pour it.

I agree with another poster who said "wild cherry" with oak and vanilla.

The only reason I won't buy this again is the price. There is nothing wrong with the price, obviously it is priced appropriately based on the supply available and the demand. On the other hand, I can't really afford to spend this kind of coin on bourbon on a regular basis. This is the reason I have never tried any of the Hirsch products...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Enthusiast

anyone know of a good place to order the Pappy 20yo online? None of my favorite Florida retailers carry this particular brand.

thanks in advance for your help!

Connoisseur

Jeremy & Jeff,

Thanks for the info. If I seee a bottle I'll give it a try. If there's a much difference between the 20 and 23 as there is between the 15 and 20 it will be worth the price difference.

Stu

Taster

Since the cold snap hit northeast this week I've gone through my bottle of Pappy 20 never realizing that it was the BOTM. I'm happy that it was selected for this honor and that I'm able to chime in and say that it is by far one of the finest bourbons (realize my limited exposure to the 100's of bourbons on the market to date) that I've had the pleasure to drink, only surpassed, slightly,by its older brother Pappy23. While I enjoy the rotation through the many open bottles of other good bourbons I would be delighted if PVW20 was the only bottle I could have if I could only have one. I trust no one was ever disappointed with their purchase of a PVW20. $72 cheapest internet+$15sh/ $80 locally +tx. Think globally shop locally.

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    anyone know of a good place to order the Pappy 20yo online? None of my favorite Florida retailers carry this particular brand.

thanks in advance for your help!
    binnys.com have it...
    $89.99 for the 20yo

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

After tasting this obviously very fine bourbon I am left with the conclusions that...

1. It has all of the characteristics that I would expect from a Van Winkle offering at a price point that does make me pause.

2. It prooves to me that American whiskey can stand that time in the wood.

3. It is not twice as good as Lot B.

Conclusion, I like it and I appreciate it,which is what the BOTM is all about for me. Will It be ever present in my small collection? This bottle that is 1/2 gone will most likely be the last for long time.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I thought I'd go a little "old school" and taste the original Pappy 20 bottled in Lawrenceburg. Not SW whiskey, but a rye whiskey from the Boone distillery. IMHO, you won't confuse the two. This issue has a slight rye earthiness while the current version has a much sweeter finish. The earlier one is drier.....both somewhat dry from the years in wood. A good whiskey for sure, but I prefer Julian's younger bottlings myself.