Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 2/07: Pappy Van Winkle 20yo

I'm so glad to see this as the BOTM. I never was much of a bourbon fan until May of 2005, when I made my first visit to Louisville. My colleagues introduced me to PVW 20 year at the Maker's Mark Tavern downtown. Since then, I've been hooked! I love the smooth taste of this bourbon. As you can tell by my screen name, I'm a true friend!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Enthusiast

I remember Julian saying that the 20YO is one you don't want to miss, when I asked for suggestions a couple of years back. How right he was!

I can't put my finger on it but every time I've had Pappy 20 it's been a sunblime experience. Smooth vanilla taste, not a jot of harshness anywhere and a whiskey I would drink much more if the price was lower. I agree that the 15 YO has more "character" and I guess "individuality" but it's simply not cutting the mustard IMO next to the Pappy 20.

Man I love this whiskey!

I bought a bottle for my mate Dave this Xmas. He is very, very impressed with it to say the least! It's nice I can repay him as he's the guy who got me all the WT 12YO when he worked abroad.
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter View Post
    I agree that the 15 YO has more "character" and I guess "individuality" but it's simply not cutting the mustard IMO next to the Pappy 20.
    I agree. Though I enjoy the 15yo, it's not in the same league as the 20yo IMHO. It's not priced there either though.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Enthusiast

Good point on the price front Jeff!

In fact to continue on the Pappy 15 theme...

I think Pappy 15 is the most "harsh" of all the VW family with (to me at least) a very dry finish and it's virtually leval pegging between Lot B and Pappy 20 for the smoothest easiest drinking whiskey in existence. Pappy 20 pips Lot B but again price comes into the equation.

The battle between RHF and Pappy 20 for my all time fave has yet to take place - RHF has been my champ since 2003/2004 but Pappy 20 is a more than legit contender for best of all time.

Man I love this whiskey - did I say that already?
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Connoisseur

Iím glad to see some responses that indicate they tasted cherry and vanilla. I donít consider myself to be very good at ďtastingĒ as I can seldom pick out anything I recognize in what Iím drinking. They all taste different to me and I can taste distinctions in the flavors the liquor contains but usually canít label them or see similarity to other things/tastes/smells. This is one of the few bourbons where I was actually able to pick out more than 1 very distinct flavor and those two were it. I thought it was just my brain playing tricks with me or that I was trying too hard or something.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    anyone know of a good place to order the Pappy 20yo online? None of my favorite Florida retailers carry this particular brand.

thanks in advance for your help!
    You might want to try Totalwine (www.totalwine.com). Looks like the store closest to you is Tampa. Pappy's 20 is $80 + tax. They have a pseudo-online page for their Tampa store, but they do not deliver. They don't carry everything, but have a good selection, and their prices are the best I've found.

-Kevin

Enthusiast

Pappy's 20 was my 2nd super high-end bourbon, after Hirsch 16. I almost broke my wrist getting my wallet out to pay for it. Needless to say, I was blown away as to how good a bourbon could be. I never tasted that depth of nose, palette, and finish before.

Since then, I've come to prefer Pappy's 15, most for its seemingly added complexity. It is a bit hot at 107, but very delicious, esp. for its price. But depending on the mood, the 20yo can offer a bit more refinement and elegance.

The entire Pappy's line is to me the finest bourbon out there. Only GTS gives it a run for the not-insignificant money.

-Kevin

Guru

Hmm..I'm jealous. I've not had the pleasure of trying either one. My plan is to pick up both the 15 and 20 year PVW next month while out of town (visiting a non-controlled state that carries PVW). My question, if I'm going to knock out $400 in Bourbon, should I go for 3 bottles of 20 and 1 bottle of 15? The price point of the 15 year is $42 and the 20 year is $84. What say you????

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    ...if I'm going to knock out $400 in Bourbon, should I go for 3 bottles of 20 and 1 bottle of 15? The price point of the 15 year is $42 and the 20 year is $84. What say you????
    Personally, I'd buy three 15s and two 20s. That way, you have a backup of each, more bottles total, and higher numbers on the bottle from which the currently-used bourbon stocks will disappear first.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Personally, I'd buy three 15s and two 20s. That way, you have a backup of each, more bottles total, and higher numbers on the bottle from which the currently-used bourbon stocks will disappear first.
    Thanks Tim.