Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 384
  1. #11
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Here are the bottles that I mentioned earlier. They came on Monday. If you look closely most of them are open already. I still have some of the Evan Williams 15 open. The Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is open so I haven't had pressing need of the Blanton's Silver, but I need to give it a test run so it will be opened tonight. The VWFR Rye 13 is looking mighty good...

    In the earlier post I said something about Mitchner Rye (sp?) but I was mistaken. It is Hirsch Sekection 13 year old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey. Pretty good stuff. I am looking forward to doing a head to head with the VWFRR 13. I'm sure I prefer the later, but won't know for sure until I open it.

    Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

  2. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Ed,

    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Hirsch and VW ryes are the same product.

    I found a bottle of the Hirsch rye in a little wine shop in Long Beach about four years ago. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the VW.

    IIRC, someone in the know (Julian? not sure) confirmed my impression.

    I guess thats a good news/bad news situation, eh?

    An official time out for a search revealed this post.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 02-07-2007 at 00:30. Reason: Upon review, the ruling on the field stands!
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  3. #13
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Ed,

    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Hirsch and VW ryes are the same product.

    I found a bottle of the Hirsch rye in a little wine shop in Long Beach about four years ago. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the VW.

    IIRC, someone in the know (Julian? not sure) confirmed my impression.

    I guess thats a good news/bad news situation, eh?

    An official time out for a search revealed this post.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Very interesting, Dave.

    I cracked the VWFRR 13 before I read your post and thought, "Yep, this is better than the Hirsch. Darker caramel/brown sugar. Subtle spice that is none the less up front and accessible. I don't really need to do a side by side, but I will anyway."

    Then I read your post and the link to Julian's comments. I poured some of my Hirsch Select. "Nope, while this is excellent it just isn't as good as the VWFRR 13." I went' back and forth between the two. The Hirsch was 'thinner' not as sweet, the caramel was there but not as deep. It just wasn't as good, wonderful, but not as good.

    But what if I was 'tasting' the label? What if I was 'tasting' the opinions of all the posts here that say that Van Winkle whiskey is the best there is? What if I was being fooled by 'marketing?'

    I had to do a blind side by side. I had my daughter pour a small taste into two identical glasses, don't worry, she is a bartender, not a minor. The glasses were marked A and B. I took a sip of glass B. Absolutely, VWFRR. Glass A, yep, Hirsch. Repeat. Not quite as sure, but yes, that is what they are. Clear the palate with room temp water. B, VWFRR. Rinse. A, Hirsch. No doubt about it now so I looked at the paper she had written the answers on. A=Hirsch, B=VWFRR.

    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

  4. #14
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    41

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    This weekend I stocked up a bit: a 1.75 of WT101 and a 1.75 of GD12 (not a bourbon but close enough for govt work).

  5. #15
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Ed......What you are detecting is the fact that there have been about 7 or 8 different bottlings of the VWFRR 13yo and only a couple of the Hirsch. To do a proper comparison, you would need to find a bottle of the VWFRR that corresponds to the time of the Hirsch bottling. As the rye whiskey aged in barrel, its flavor evolved until Julian finally tanked the remainder of it. So an "A" bottling tastes different than a "D" bottling of the VWFRR due to additional ageing in the barrel (I don't recall exactly when he tanked this rye to stop the ageing). Julian has now added another straight rye to the tank so the current VWFRR is a slightly different animal altogether.

    If your bottling is a "D" or later, it would likely taste noticeably different than any Hirsch 13yo rye bottling. If its the current bottling, it might be completely different.

    Randy

  6. #16
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Ed......What you are detecting is the fact that there have been about 7 or 8 different bottlings of the VWFRR 13yo and only a couple of the Hirsch. To do a proper comparison, you would need to find a bottle of the VWFRR that corresponds to the time of the Hirsch bottling. As the rye whiskey aged in barrel, its flavor evolved until Julian finally tanked the remainder of it. So an "A" bottling tastes different than a "D" bottling of the VWFRR due to additional ageing in the barrel (I don't recall exactly when he tanked this rye to stop the ageing). Julian has now added another straight rye to the tank so the current VWFRR is a slightly different animal altogether.

    If your bottling is a "D" or later, it would likely taste noticeably different than any Hirsch 13yo rye bottling. If its the current bottling, it might be completely different.

    Randy

    Hi Randy,

    I knew that there were multiple bottlings of the VWFRR 13. Both my previous bottle and this bottle lack a letter. All they have is a letter. Here is a picture of both lables.

    So, what does this mean? Are these bottles from before Julian started using letters to lable different batches or are these the current bottling or what. All I know for sure is that this is some of the best whiskey I have ever tasted.

    Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

  7. #17
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Those are older bottlings Ed......probably when the rye was actually 13yo. The later ones got a number and a letter in front of it. I'd guess your VWFRR and the Hirsch were bottled within a few years of each other.

    Randy

  8. #18
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    198

    Smile Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Something I haven't seen here in NYC yet, Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100 proof, which has a nice color to it. I think I'll make some Manhattans out of it.
    Something I've read about here, the Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey.
    ...And, Something I've had plenty of but can never seem to resist picking up ORVW 10yr 107 for only $26.00! Some fine drink'n lies ahead methinks! Tom V

  9. #19
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Those are older bottlings Ed......probably when the rye was actually 13yo. The later ones got a number and a letter in front of it. I'd guess your VWFRR and the Hirsch were bottled within a few years of each other.

    Randy
    Thanks Randy,

    That is what I thought. I think I can taste that my Hircsh and my VWFRR are both the same whiskey at different ages. I am not sure which is younger, but I sure know which one I like better! I am only a couple of pours into the VWFRR and already I am starting to morn the day it is empty. I think I will be drinking the Hirsch to save the VWFRR.

    Ed

    My 1,000th Post!
    Last edited by Edward_call_me_Ed; 02-08-2007 at 00:18. Reason: My 1,000th Post
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

  10. #20
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upper Gwynedd PA
    Posts
    211

    Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

    Last night I popped for a bottle of PVW 20. Now I need to buy another so I won't feel bad about opening and drinking one.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What bourbon did you purchase today?
    By NorCalBoozer in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 600
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 22:06
  2. Good "winter" bourbon?
    By wrbriggs in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:24
  3. Purchase Michter's Collection?
    By TNbourbon in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 16:44
  4. USA Today: Praise for Bourbon
    By bourbonmed in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 09:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top