Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

I bought two bottles of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye today, and will probably buy two bottles of William Larue Weller 2006 tomorrow.

Connoisseur

Old Fitz Prime 375mL tax-stripped from 1988.
    OGD114 faux-tax stripped from the ND era (1990)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by snakster View Post
    Last night I popped for a bottle of PVW 20. Now I need to buy another so I won't feel bad about opening and drinking one.
    Oh, that's not how I do it. I get it home and crack it as soon as it is legal to drink, I mean no driving or work, post meridian...

Round about the time the bottle hits the half way point is the time I get antsy to buy the backup.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Advanced Taster

OGD Bonded 100, OGD114, BT (already had an unopened bottle but it was on sale ), ORVW 10-yr 90, EWSB 1996, ER 101 and two non-bourbon bottlings...Rain vodka and 1800 Anejo tequila (aged in charred oak barrels )

There were two other dusty ER101 on the shelf and I pushed them in the back to hide them and will make a surreptitious trip back to buy them when my funding (and wife) recover from this disbursement . Also, I was surprised to find a variety of EWSB from 1990 to 1995, so I might go back and buy some more of those in differing years. I've not seen the 1997 bottling anywhere at this writing.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Out shopping this morning, sadly I confirmed the slim pickings (relatively) for bourbon in Ontario. There is only at the moment WR, KC, WT (the 80), JB White and some Black. There was RB and RY for a while, but both are MIA and the RB is sorely missed. I believe that is it, on top of that in whiskey, there are the Jacks (all three).

I don't have any bourbon in the bunker now except some 70's-80's OTs (which are great), Jeff's Black Gold (I like it), some 60's and 70's Beam's (partly full bottle of each), an OF 100 which is one of my faves, and a little Pikesville and Rittenhouse Bonded. Also, a partly full foil Hirsch 16. Not a big selection, but good enough. I generally consume as I buy (or within the year), partly because my selection choices are limited, partly because I don't have a lot of room to store them. I also have a 20 bourbon personal vatting which is very satisfying.

I'd be happy just to be able to get some ETL and EC 12. That would round out what I need and while I've tasted greats in my time, I would be fully satisfied with those and our existing KC and WR.

In Canadian whisky the choice is larger than in recent years but with some exceptions (e.g., Barrel Select, Danfield's Private Reserve, the CC sherry cask which just reappeared) the flavor profile is fairly uniform.

So, I picked up some scotch. I got an 18 year old Grouse vatted malts, $70 which is pretty good for such well aged and hopefully well-vatted malts. The sticker says some are rather older than 18 years. Haven't tried it yet but the nose is promising (good sherry and wood). Also, I finally got the 15 year old French Oak Glenlivet, which is supposed to be better than the original, 12 year one.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    So, I picked up some scotch. I got an 18 year old Grouse vatted malts, $70 which is pretty good for such well aged and hopefully well-vatted malts. Gary
    That's a really good price for this malt. Usually about $90 I think?

Connoisseur

Picked up an OGD BIB bottled in 1985.

It was $70.95 at Queen's Quay today. I note from the website of LCBO it is discontinued, so maybe the price was reduced.

It has good flavours and a decided sherry finish and nose, but is a little spirity.

The Glenlivet French Oak 15 years old is also good, with the keynote perfumed note cognac has (but fainter of course), so that quality must be from the French wood, not the grapes in the brandy, unless ex-cognac casks were used, the label does not say. It also has a slightly spirity finish, maybe with time this will diminish in both drinks.

I honestly feel my own scotch blends, which are about 80% or more vatted malt (the rest grain whisky), are better. They are softer in mouth feel than either of these without a spirity finish, despite that they contain some grain whisky and these single malts do not, of course. Also, my blends are (inevitably, I guess) more complex.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-10-2007 at 19:13.

Enthusiast

Hi Gary:

I'd recommend Johnny Walker Gold if you wanted something soft and non-spirity. Just a thought!

Yes, it is probably a better buy at the price. I find the Grouse softens a bit with a dash of water.

Gary