Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

I just received my order from Sam's in Chicago of 6 bottles of 10yo Sazerac Rye Jr. Has anyone tried this new offering? I have only tried it once side by side with the 6yo and could not tell any difference. They were both excellent and still one of my favorite pours.

bj
    Last edited by Ubertaster; 04-26-2007 at 05:20.

Apprentice

Old Fitzgerald BiB. Does anyone have any info on this stuff? Straight up, it's a bit harsh, but a couple of ice cubes really smooth it out. I'm slowly working my way through the bourbon shelf of the one of our bazillion local package stores (John's Liqours in Falmouth, MA). They don't have much on the high end, but they do have an interesting selection on the lower end of the bourbon spectrum. mmmmmmmmmm bourbon!!

Advanced Taster

Old Forester Bonded. Very flavorful and spicy. Eagle Rare 101. I don't usually like sweet but this stuff is good sweet.

Taster

I found WT101 for under $16 yesterday - same price as the WT80.

Guru

Mysteriously, ER 17 2006 and Twice Barreled from the 2006 BTEC re-appeared on the shelf of a local, very-high volume liquor store. They were limited to one per customer so I snagged one of each.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

I just grabbed a couple of WT Russell's Reserve 101's that I found while doing a little dusty bottle hunting. I paid $29.99 each for them but they're kinda scarce these days. They had 4 more sitting on the shelf...the question is...should I go back and get the rest?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by granola82 View Post
    I just grabbed a couple of WT Russell's Reserve 101's that I found while doing a little dusty bottle hunting. I paid $29.99 each for them but they're kinda scarce these days. They had 4 more sitting on the shelf...the question is...should I go back and get the rest?
    30 dollars is a bit steep, at least in my neck of the woods. I picked up one last week for 25.99. But at 30 bucks I'd still go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    30 dollars is a bit steep, at least in my neck of the woods. I picked up one last week for 25.99. But at 30 bucks I'd still go for it.
    Wow...so WTRR 101 is widely available in your neck o' the woods? Very nice! Sounds like I need to do a road trip!

Yeah, the store was in downtown DC and everything in there was almost exactly $5 more than what I usually see in other shops.

Around here all of the VA ABC stores have plenty of the "new" 90 proof version and as far as I can tell the same is true for most of Maryland.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by granola82 View Post
    Wow...so WTRR 101 is widely available in your neck o' the woods? Very nice! Sounds like I need to do a road trip!
    No, not widely available. I wish! WTRR 101 has all but completely disappeared from the shelves. Replaced by the 90 proof version. I just happened across a lone bottle a while back.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    No, not widely available. I wish! WTRR 101 has all but completely disappeared from the shelves. Replaced by the 90 proof version. I just happened across a lone bottle a while back.
    I found a bottle earlier this week myself for same price as you paid. This store sold them a while back for $25.99 but went up on the price as stock diminished .

Anyhow, I left 2 on the shelf and am seriously thinking of retrieving them tomorrow. It is tough for me to pay almost as much for the RR101 as RB, but, it has disappeared and will never reappear from what I hear. IMHO, RB is the best offering from WT right now. If I hunt far and wide enough, it can usually be had for $30-35 in my general area of the state.