Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

Gary,

I'm a scotch drinker as well. You referred to your own blends, what are they? Are you an importer? I'm prejudiced toward the Islay malts - I'm presently enjoying an Ardbeg 10. Earlier today I had a pour of Four Roses SB to accompany a Nicaraguan cigar - they went well together. But then, almost any hand rolled cigar and good whiskey go well together.

Stu

Enthusiast

Gary:

I'd go for King of Scots (Rare & Extra Old) at Bayview Village @ $42.15 down from $60. Only at Bayview. Nice blend and silky, but gets poweful at the end...

Guru

Talking Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

Whiskey/Spirits purchased in the last week is as follows:

Macallan 18 year (x3)
    Balvenie 15 year
    Bruichladdich 15 year
    Edradour - port and marsalis 10 year
    Four Roses Yellow Label
    WT 101 8 Year
    Blantons Silver (x2)
    Blantsons Gold (x2)
    Blantons SFTB (x3)
    Bacardi 8 year (x2)
    Bacardi Limon
    Bacardi 12 year Special Reserve (only sold at the Bacardi Distillery)
    Bushmills 16 year Malt

Went on a shopping frenzy while on vacation. Funny thing, my brother in law got stopped in customs and had to pay duty on 11 bottles. I had twice as many bottles as him (21) and didn't pay a thing. I teased him all the way home.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Out shopping this morning, sadly I confirmed the slim pickings (relatively) for bourbon in Ontario. There is only at the moment WR, KC, WT (the 80), JB White and some Black. There was RB and RY for a while, but both are MIA and the RB is sorely missed. I believe that is it, on top of that in whiskey, there are the Jacks (all three).

Gary
    I think I've seen BT around as well as Rebel Yell, although not at all outlets. I've also seen the odd bottling of Blantons around if I'm not mistaken, and there should be the odd bottle of Bookers on discount...

But your point is well made. We are going through a time of restricted options up here due to (1) several bourbons being discontinued on the general list such as Bakers, ETL, ER 10 and Bookers, and (2) no new bourbons comming in through vintages (limited shipments only).

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary

Advanced Taster

tomarrow, i'll be in casper again. and the hop and vine has quite the selection. pretty sure i'll pick up some PVW20, OGD114, and EWSB 93,95. i really liked the 94. while i'm there i'll stock up on the "house whiskey" (very rare old heaven hill 10yr 100, ancient ancient age 10 yr) maybe a couple other bottlings that strike my interest!
    Last edited by straightwhiskeyruffneck; 02-12-2007 at 07:13.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary
    Holy cow! Just a few weeks ago I could have sworn I saw some BT! Now the on-line inventory claims there's none around! I'll keep my eyes open for Blantons.

Enthusiast

Entry deleted...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sometimes you see the odd straggler in a store but once it's off the computerised inventory, usually there is none left. We are in a particularly lean period for bourbon in this province, I can't recall in past years (last 10 anyway) when there has been so little. I get somewhat annoyed to see three different bottling sizes of WR when I'd rather have other brands of B-F to replace two of those (or in addition of course). I find it particularly annoying when LCBO in a shelf-talker describes a product as new when just the bottle format is different. I realise there may be markets for packages as such, but still. OF 100 is a logical choice for sale here, even Early Times. I have never been enamoured of government liquor retailing. I believe the objects they achieve - responsible selling practices, taxation levy, can be achieved as easily with a private distribution network. And consumer choice would result, in my opinion, in a broader or a more rational product choice than we see on the shelves in most control states.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-13-2007 at 13:13.

Novice

george t stagg! ...yesterday afternoon my buddy picked up two of the three bottles they had at john walker & co.