Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Question Scotch Purchases - Input please

I'm headed to the Caribbean first of Feb and will be stopping in St. Maarten. Last time I was there, liquor prices were silly cheap (e.g. JW Blue $85). I want to add to my small scotch collection while there and would appreciate some input into some good scotch's that may be considered "must have".

I tend to lean toward a Highland over the Islay or Lowland. I do like Balvenie which is a Speyside.

Thanks in advance.

Taster

Re: Scotch Purchases - Input please

I'm partial to Islay, so my "must haves" are mostly off your list (and start with Ardbeg). But of the Highlands, two cask-strength independent bottlings that recently stood out were a 22yo Mortlach (Scott's, 1979/2001) and a magnificent 25yo Longmorn (Scotch Malt Whisky Society, 1978-2003). Both whiskys are said to benefit tremendously from extra age (I haven't had a chance to taste the Longmorn side-by-side with the current factory 15yo bottling) but if you can find an affordable older example of either, especially the Longmorn, that's what I'd pick.

I should point out that when these stood out, we were tasting them along with four other Highlands, all reputable cask strength indy bottlings, as well as a half-dozen-plus Islays. The Balvenie DoubleWood, which I like, wouldn't have stood a chance in this company.
    Dave

Guru

Lightbulb Re: Scotch Purchases - Input please

Well, it may be old hat, but I still always enjoy The Glenlivet. My favorite is also The Balvenie.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I tend to lean toward a Highland over the Islay or Lowland. I do like Balvenie which is a Speyside.
    I might recommend trying some atypical Islays such as Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain. No peat in Bunnahabhain and only abit in the Bruichladdich. Other than this, older Glenfiddich has great stature amongst scotch lovers.

Just a couple of ideas...

Guru

Thanks for the feedback. I will use your suggestion when browsing the stores. I'll report back my findings.....

Virtuoso

Also, with Islays, Bowmore tends to be moderately peated - less intense than the Ardbeg/Laphroaig/Lagavulin peat monsters.

Highland Park (from Orkney) is also medium-peated, but Orkney's peat has a heather-honey character that is very different from the Islay seaside bonfire.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

I want to add to my small scotch collection while there and would appreciate some input into some good scotch's that may be considered "must have".

Thanks in advance.
    Were I going, my list would include the following (in no specific order):

The Balvenie 21 yr Portwood
    The Macallan 15 yr, 18 yr & 25 yr
    Laphroaig 30 yr
    Springbank - the older the better
    Longrow - any of 'em I could find
    The Dalmore 21 yr
    Highland Park 25 yr
    Aberlour 21 yr

Happy hunting!
    ~tp

Guru

TP,

I do have the Dalmore 21 which has not been opened yet. I have so many bottles of bourbon open, along with a couple of scotch's that I'm going to wait until I clean out some of my stock. I'm especially interested in the Balvenie, Highland Park and Macallan. I think I'm more excited about hunting for scotch that cruising the carib.

Advanced Taster

TP,

I do have the Dalmore 21 which has not been opened yet. I have so many bottles of bourbon open, along with a couple of scotch's that I'm going to wait until I clean out some of my stock. I'm especially interested in the Balvenie, Highland Park and Macallan. I think I'm more excited about hunting for scotch that cruising the carib.
    I try to limit my open bottles at three to five each so I hear ya. Currently have 4 open bottles of Bourbon and 5 open Scotch.
    FWIW, based on what you've said you like, I'd jump on a bottle of Aberlour 21 if you see it - really fantastic and unavailable in the US except duty free.

~tp

Disciple

I would definitely go for brands only available in duty free. Sometimes these include versions that are cask strength. I think the place you are going is the same area that someone mentioned they bought a bottle of Blantons silver for 22.00. If i found a botlle of this for this cheap of price, I would buy it immediately!

Thomas