Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jameson Irish Whiskey

Jameson Gold is a tasty "dessert" whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Triple distillation is quite common in parts of the whisky world, e.g., Scots Lowlands whiskies are (or were in most cases) triple-distilled.

I don't think distillation alone would explain it since pure pot stills like Green Spot and Redbreast are distilled three times too and they have a lot of taste.

I find with Jameson's, despite being a standard blend, that it does vary from bottling to bottling. Maybe you got a fairly bland one, but I'd try again, from a different stock. I bought a small bottle recently (those "flats" they sell near the cash) and thought it had a lot of taste, a clover and hay-like flavor with mint in it and good wood.

A couple of years ago though, I had a bottle that seemed much more neutral.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I bought a small bottle recently (those "flats" they sell near the cash) and thought it had a lot of taste, a clover and hay-like flavor with mint in it and good wood.

A couple of years ago though, I had a bottle that seemed much more neutral.

Gary
    Earlier this year, March perhaps, I bought a 350 ml bottle and was pleasantly surprised. I, too, regarded it as unexpectedly flavourful, perhaps a little too much Sherry for my taste but still great for its price and status.

I canīt lay claims to being an expert of the standard bottling but the last time before that I had a sip was at a local film festival in (I think) 2004, which was sponsored by Jameson. I remember having two shots in between movie sittings and I found it pretty non-descript back then.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Disciple

If it is available in your area, try a bottle of Jameson's 12. While the standard Jemesons is decent whiskey, the 12yr. version takes it to a whole new level. It is easily worth the 10.00-12.00 extra per bottle IMHO!

Thomas

Apprentice

Some friends and I went to the Party Source a month or two ago looking for some SMS. We ended up with 2SMS and a bottle of 12 yr Jamesons. The 12yr Jamesons is the bottle which is nearly empty. The others not quite. We had the standard Jameson offering earlier this year, and while enjoyable, it was not something with much to "taste" if you will. To echo the previous posts, the 12yr version is to our tasting, much better and worth the extra 10 or 12 dollars.
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

Enthusiast

Agreed regarding the value of the 12yr vs the NAS.

I also agree with Megawatt regarding the blandness of the NAS Jameson although I haven't tried it recently. I still much prefer it to other NAS blends like Grants, Bells, Dewars, etc.

Well, it is a question if you like the taste of the 12. Personally I find it too much, too much wax, sherry and wood. The blend gets it right - for me.

Gary

Connoisseur

I'll admit that I'm starting to enjoy it more now that I've had four or five drinks from it. Took some getting used to the mildness, I guess.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Well, it is a question if you like the taste of the 12. Personally I find it too much, too much wax, sherry and wood. The blend gets it right - for me.

Gary
    Jim Murray agrees with you from what I understand.

Well, it's all a question of taste. He does I know greatly admire too Jameson 12 and the other uncut pure pot stills. I find generally that their particular waxy taste needs cutting of some kind and the Jameson blend does a superb job at that. Still, I like some pot stills on their own, some Green Spot bottlings and also Jameson 15 years old which I've only had once or twice but was really good, velvety and rich.

Gary