Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Old Rip van Winkle family reserve rye

I just got 2 bottles of ORVWFRR in a parcel from Germany. To my big surprise the label said A and Lawrenceburg. Is there anybody that is updated on the real age of the different letter versions of this brand? I did try the serge button with no success.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Old Rip van Winkle family reserve rye

You probably got one of the best ones, Leif. That was when the whiskey was actually 13 years or a bit over maybe and it had a particularly good balance. Can you give us some taste notes, please? I recall it as very fruity, smoky, bourbon-like too, but not tannic or too dry. All ORVW rye is good but those early expressions seemed tops to me.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-09-2007 at 06:45.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Great find / purchase Leif

I don't want to hijack a thread here, but does anyone know when this product will be available again? My last bottle is really getting low....

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    You probably got one of the best ones, Leif. That was when the whiskey was actually 13 years or a bit over maybe and it had a particularly good balance. Can you give us some taste notes, please? I recall it as very fruity, smoky, bourbon-like too, but not tannic or too dry. All ORVW rye is good but those early expressions seemed tops to me.

Gary
    Gary,

I have tasted the A-version several years ago and I remember it as very, very good. Not sure of the actual age though. I now the “Lottas home" is 13-14years, 1985 vintage 15 years, G, F 19 years and I assume the no letter ORVWFRR is 13 and the no letter ORVWOTR is 12 but I don’t now about the rest.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    I just got 2 bottles of ORVWFRR in a parcel from Germany. To my big surprise the label said A and Lawrenceburg. Is there anybody that is updated on the real age of the different letter versions of this brand? I did try the serge button with no success.

Leif
    If I had to guess I'd say the "A" bottles were as Gary said, about 13-14 years of age, B (about 14-15), C (about 15-16) up to either E or F (18-19), where the remaining barrels of spirit were said to be married with a second rye and arrested.

It was also my understanding (according to Julian) that the 12 OTR and both 13 VWFR ryes were originally all the same age - (13 years) but were bottled at 3 different proofs / %s.

All I can add is that 'I' is the letter of the current 2007 bottles. You can count back from this as a reference point for when it was released.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I had some from the I bottling recently and it was great. I find every time I sample it seems somewhat different and the age thing isn't linear in terms of the taste, i.e., some bottles just seem to hit a great balance (part of this may be the mingling with another rye that occurred before tanking). Whatever it is, the current one is excellent.

Also sampled recently the Michter's 10 rye (which I believe also is about 18 years old), Hirsch 23 year old rye and BMH 18 rye.

All these are very good. They may all have the same or partly the same origin as has often been discussed but in practice each bottle seems different, e.g., the Michter's 10 has quite a particular spicy quality as does the BMH 18. The Hirsch 23 was quite something, thick, smoky chestnut-like rich but not at all tannic.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Anyone know what is up with this bottling from Japan that doesn't have a letter preceding the serial number?

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/13/e9/10030551836.jpg

Maybe Julian simply doesn't do the letters for the export market? OR Maybe this is a real early bottle before they started to use the letters?

Does anyone have any US bottles that don't have the letter? If so, when did you get them?

Guru

That may be the original Lawrenceburg 1st release.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Yes, the "numbered w/o a letter" was from the first release IIRC. I brought one to the Gazebo during the last Sampler. I stil have one left. And yes, they came here from Japan years ago, but are pretty much impossible to find over there now. The rye when it was actually 13yo.

Randy