Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Joel

Taster

Re: Anyone see this?

Interesting article..... but praising Maker's Mark seems and the Jim Beam small batch line to that extent seems overkill to me.

Enthusiast

I thought some of the quotes and claims were interesting. I thought the article a nice piece of marketing fluff.
    Last edited by TnSquire; 02-16-2007 at 12:54.
    Joel

Connoisseur

Quote from the feature:

while the traditional, cheaper brands are largely confined to the American South and drunk by older, less-educated consumers who, as Samuels puts it, "spend a lot of time going to funerals."

Im not sure if I understand this. Does he mean that they drink themselves to death, or?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tritioch View Post
    Interesting article..... but praising Maker's Mark seems and the Jim Beam small batch line to that extent seems overkill to me.
    Here's a Maker's file http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...82&postcount=1...about Bill Samule's SR. (not Jr.) from the U. of L. Alumi magazine. A short biography, the early years without a bunch of "fluff"...

Bettye Jo
    Last edited by boone; 02-16-2007 at 11:53.

Enthusiast

When was that article printed? Allied is long gone. Interesting stuff though.
    Joe

Guru

"He had this idea of making a new kind of bourbon, bourbon that actually tasted good. He achieved this by eliminating the traditional rye and substituting the milder-tasting wheat..."

I didn't know rye made bourbon taste bad. I wish, in the general press, when bourbon mash bills are is discussed the spiciness of rye verses the sweet nuttiness of wheat would be talked about. Instead we get vague and misleading statements like the one above. Given a chance the average consumer can understand such issues.

Enthusiast

While any press is good press, there were quite a few hideous parts to that article. My favorite horror was: "According to David Pickerell, master distiller at Maker's Mark, "The lowest, bottom-shelf stuff being made today is better than the best whiskey made in 1947."

What?? I guess if he means the first few runs right after the war, then perhaps. But the statement is totally misleading and sounds (and I think is meant to sound) like whiskey from the old days sucked.

I've got a bunker full of period S/W, Harper, etc that would like to argue.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    Quote from the feature:

while the traditional, cheaper brands are largely confined to the American South and drunk by older, less-educated consumers who, as Samuels puts it, "spend a lot of time going to funerals."

Im not sure if I understand this. Does he mean that they drink themselves to death, or?
    I think what he means is that only less educated, elderly southerners drink traditional, cheaper brands.

Now I am 38, and the last three bottles I bought were Weller Antique, Old Forester BIB and OGD BIB. What does that say about me?
    Last edited by TnSquire; 02-16-2007 at 13:23.
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Joeluka View Post
    When was that article printed? Allied is long gone. Interesting stuff though.
    Tim