Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

New guy with some questions

Hi, longtime lurker and just decided to join in on the fun. I turned 21 back in June my bourbon experience is somewhat limited but I know that I like the brown nectar. I live in Alabama so I'm stuck with poor selection of whiskey in general, especially rye and bourbon. I have a friend who is going on a cruise to the Bahamas and I want to know what is avaible through duty free. So please fell free to reply with anything you know or a link that would help me out.
    "Doing your own laundry makes you want to get married"

Re: New guy with some questions

Hey Blue, welcome to the board! One of the most talked about duty free items would probably be Wild Turkey 12 year old 101. I'm not sure if someone recently asked the same question and was told the Bahamas weren't that good for duty free, I may have the location wrong there. Also get him to look out for Blanton's bourbon offerings like the Gold or Silver, or possibly even the Straight From the Barrel release.

Surely he can come up with something good!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

While I don't know what's available in duty free, I do have another thought. Since you are about a typical college age, do you have any freinds who might have gone away to college, either to a larger city or to another state? If so, maybe one of them could bring you back stuff when they come home to visit.

Of, course there might also be relatives who live out of town, who might be visiting...or who you can use as an excuse to go on a road trip while you visit.

There are few valid excuses to not have good whiskey, where there is a will there is a way

Welcome aboard!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

I cruised in October with a port stop in Nassau, and was largely disappointed in the selection. I managed to find an apparent export-only Aristrocrat bottling done by Heaven Hill, but I bought the only two bottles I saw in a single store. I saw a handful of older 86-proof, standard Southern Comforts, and a few export-only Southern Comfort Reserves, which contain 6yo bourbon. The Wild Turkey in Nassau and onboard Carnival Duty-Free was the domestic standard 101. The 8yo was available in ship's bars or via room service (at $45, about double what if would be duty-free).
    It was, alas, a pretty barren bourbon trip. I've no idea whether Freeport would be better or more of the same.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blue4241 View Post
    Hi, longtime lurker and just decided to join in on the fun. I turned 21 back in June my bourbon experience is somewhat limited but I know that I like the brown nectar. I live in Alabama so I'm stuck with poor selection of whiskey in general, especially rye and bourbon. I have a friend who is going on a cruise to the Bahamas and I want to know what is avaible through duty free. So please fell free to reply with anything you know or a link that would help me out.
    Blue,

I just retured from the Bahamas yesterday and have to say I was disappointed with the Duty Free selections. I was in San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Bahamas and the absolutely best shopping is in St. Maarten where liquor is dirt cheap and in good supply. I was not able to find any WT 101 12 year. The only WT I found in the Bahamas was regular WT 101, no age declaration on any bottles. Also, the selection was not that good. They carry a good supply of WT, Jim Beam White and Jack Daniels. All the items I ran across are available in the U.S. The duty free on the boat probably won't carry anything significant. Is your friend only going to the Bahamas or will he be stopping in other ports of call? Also, if he can hit U.S. Duty Free prior to departing, he may be able to pick up WT 101 8 year at the airport. If he does that, make sure he doesn't carry the bottle in his carry on to the ship...they may take it away.

Enthusiast

I agree with the last post. Best bet is to hit the duty free in the states BEFORE going on the trip. I just don't know if they allow it onto the plane if bought at the gate. Anyway, it would mean your friend would have to lug the stuff to and fro.

Let's hope he owes you some favors...or is a good pal.

-Lear

Thanks for the info, hopefully there is something worth getting. He is a rum fan so he should be able to find something for himself. He is a good friend, I bought him a bottle of booze a while back so he owes me.
    "Doing your own laundry makes you want to get married"