Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Administrator in exile

Bourbon and Cointreau...

Just playing around tonight. I poured a shot of AAA 10yo over an ice cube and added a splash of Cointreau. At first I wasn't convinced, but as the ice has melted slightly it has become a rather refreshing drink. Are there any popular bourbon drinks that incorporate cointreau? The "bourborita" comes to mind. Any others? Anyone ever tried this?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Re: Bourbon and Cointreau...

Sounds like you came up with a "Ridgerunner's Grand Marnier" Jeff
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

According to my cocktail references, curacao and, by extension cointreau, figures in some old versions of the Old-Fashioned.

And the Oriental has survived since the days of the Savoy Cocktail Book:

2 oz rye or bourbon
    1/2 oz cointreau
    1oz Italian vermouth
    1/2 lime

Shake and strain.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Cointreau is a proprietary form of curacao. Triple sec is another term for a fine curacao, and despite the name is slightly sweet. So all these are essentially the same thing, except triple sec is always white in color (some curacaos are blue, green, or brown, but always orange-tasting), somewhat stronger than curacao proper, and uses sweet and bitter oranges (curacao uses only the bitter orange); for practical purposes these are of a piece.

Bourbon and orange have a definite affinity. The slice of orange in an Old-Fashioned is an example - so is Southern Comfort, which has an orange inclination, to my taste.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-29-2007 at 19:39.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Are there any popular bourbon drinks that incorporate cointreau?
    I occasionally will put a splash of Cointreau or Grand Marnier in a manhattan. A half teaspoon is plenty. It adds a little something extra.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Connoisseur

Okay, Jeff. I took your advice and added a half teaspoon of Grand Marnier to my Manhattan tonight and couldn't have been more pleased with the result. Melded perfectly with the Noilly Prat, ER 101, and Regan's Orange Bitters. Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing this again.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Virtuoso

Cointreau (or the other top-shelf triple sec, Luxardo Triplum) also works well in place of maraschino in the Red Hook - or in (gin-based) martinis.

There is a difference between Triplum and Cointreau - Triplum has Sicilian as well as West Indian oranges in its distillate. Cointreau seems more bittersweet, while Triplum seems a bit more floral in character. Both are good additions to your liquor cabinet...
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!