Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Jim Beam

Novice

Jim Beam

I can't seem to find out if Jim Beam uses any kind of charcoal filtering in their bourbon process. I know they char the barrels before aging but do they ever pass through a charcoal filtration process. I have seen in some sites that Jim Beam Black goes through a charcoal filter after aging before bottling, is this true and does Beam White have this too?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Jim Beam

No bourbon goes through a process like Jack Daniel's does, where the whiskey passes through about 10 feet of charcoal. However, most bourbons are chill-filtered before bottling. This is to eliminate something called "chill haze" which can make the whiskey appear cloudy if the bottle gets cold. So it's mostly an appearance thing. To chill-filter, they chill the whiskey to about 32 degrees and pass it through some kind of filtration material and, in many cases, that filtration material includes a little bit of activated charcoal. So, yes, most bourbon, including Jim Beam, goes through a little bit of charcoal before bottling.

Guru

Re: Jim Beam

This thread http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...county+process provides a good explanation of the "Lincoln County Process" used by Jack Daniel's and how it differs from chill filtration.