Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What is Early Times?

Oh, I'm glad to learn that. I appreciate this contribution.I'll keep this in mind."Ohio is in the US, Ohio is in the US, it was checked, Ohio is in the US,..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

We're just jealous because you get the good ET and we don't.

This is now an interesting thread; I took it for granted that what is commonly advertised as store or shelf liquor (really liquor dilute) here in NW Ohio is common everywhere. In Ohio liquor retail licenses are issued county by county, based to some degree on the number of residents in the county. To illustrate, let's say a county has 17,000 residents, they might be allocated 4 licenses but a county with 200,000 residents has proportionally more available licenses (I guessed on the first figure). To be able to sell liquor-like products without the state license retailers resort to selling dilutes. Many buyers don't pay enough attention to know that they aren't buying full proof beverages, so everyone is happy. As Cowdery mentioned, a wide variety of liquor products are available in the 40 proof bottling, as well as ready to serve Margaritas, Cosmopolitans, Fire and Ice, Schnapps, Creme de Menthe etc. This stuff is available at many grocery stores and most convenience stores and is much cheaper than full proof liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    In Ohio and, I think, nowhere else, the law says that anything that is more than 20% alcohol by volume (ABV) must be sold in a state-controlled liquor store, while anything below 20% ABV can be sold in grocery stores, etc.

Hey Chuck, I think you might need to add Oregon to that list. I am not 100% sure of the number; however I do believe it is 20%, that which nothing above can be sold in a grocery/market store. I remember my high school days getting people to buy MD 20/20 because IIRC it was the highest proof that could be purchased in the corner market...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Early Times is 80% bourbon, married with 20% whiskey
    What is the "20% whiskey"?

I love the way Early Times states on their web-site,.... "we put new whiskey in charred oak barrels,..."

It's all the same spirit, they just age about 20% of it in used barrels.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's all the same spirit, they just age about 20% of it in used barrels.
    Ugh?

I don't get it.

Disciple

OscarV, maybe this will help. 8 out of 10 barrels dumped in a batch is whisky in new barrels, and 2 out of 10 barrels dumped to make a batch are whiskey in used barrels. I believe that the 8 barrels could be called bourbon because they use new charred barrels. Where as the other 2 can't because of the use of the used copperage. Hope that helps.

Here's another way to say the same thing.

I'm going to make 100 gallons of Early Times.

As the whiskey comes out of still, I put the first 80 gallons into new barrels and the last 20 gallons into used barrels.

Approximately four years later (and ignoring the angels share) I have 100 gallons of Early Times.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think what he is getting at (OscarV) is that the website of the brand suggests that all the whiskey is aged in charred barrels, yet how can that be if 20% is aged in used barrels?

The answer is the site is being a little cute. The 20% aged in used barrels is in fact aged in charred barrels because those used barrels are charred (maybe even re-charred) before being filled (since they once held Bourbon).

In other words, the reference on the site to charred barrels means in effect new and used charred barrels (note the site is careful not to state that Early Times whiskey is aged in "new" charred barrels because that would suggest 100% of it is so aged, when it is not).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-28-2007 at 20:11.