Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Beer

German Beer

I love German beer. German beer has a unique finish duplicated, in my experience, only in a handful of Dutch beers and to a degree in Molson Golden. My theory is that this finish results from the exacting standards of the Reinheitsgebot (purity law). Whatever the case, what is your favorite German beer?

Administrator in exile

Re: German Beer

Don't underestimate the differences in water used in the brewing of beer; it can have a substantial affect on the flavor, so much so that many homebrewers go to great lengths to duplicate the water profiles of the areas from which the style of beer that they are brewing originates.

That said, my favorite German beer is Hofbrau, but only when served at the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY and, I assume, at the original Hofbrauhaus in Munich. The commercial, bottled version is good, but it's a very different creature, or so I was told by the brewer in Newport.

Hofbrauhaus Newport
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

German beers also use home-grown (mostly) malts and hops and these have particular characteristics which tend to define certain styles. E.g., here in Toronto we have had recently a number of dark Munich beers available, draft and bottled. I find they share a certain earthy, chocolately taste which is unique to that group of beers. Water, yeasts, malts and hops all lend their stamp to beers but I have a feeling the roasted malting barleys are the defining note in this group.

Since you are also referring however to finish, likely the hops used impart the taste you are noticing.

German hops tend again (there are various types) to have a certain taste and Molson Golden, while a light-bodied mass market lager, might use a German hop for finishing.

My advice is to seek the local craft beers in your area. Inquire and you may find some that meet or exceed the profile you like in the imports. Craft beers are made in a number of international styles and often exceed the original, either as such or because the imports are pasteurised and lose some character from the time to ship them. Sam Adams lager is a good place to begin, it uses German hops and fine malts and is a great beer. You can find it in most parts of the U.S.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-26-2007 at 07:54.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I haven't been to Germany, but drinking some of these beers in their home countries is interesting. From my own experience I'm thinking of England and the Czech Republic. In both cases, the best beers are draught and their bottled versions are pale substitutes. In England, I loved the bitters, which are rarely exported. In Prague, what struck me was how long it takes to properly draw a beer, and how amazing it tastes when they do it right. Bars there, as in England, are typically tied houses, meaning they sell only the products of a single brewery. In Prague, my favorite is Staropremen. I've had a lot of beer in a lot of places, but drinking beer in Bohemia is a special experience. I suspect Bavaria and some other parts of Germany are the same way. You get some of that in Amsterdam, but there are so many other distractions...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWater View Post
    what is your favorite German beer?
    That would be Hacker-Pschorr, I have had 3 types, the Edelhell, Oktoberfest and the Weisse. I liked them all. I would love to try them in a Beer-Garten in Germany.

As far as non-German, my favorites are, Czechvar, Grolsh and Molson Golden.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I haven't been to Germany, but drinking some of these beers in their home countries is interesting. From my own experience I'm thinking of England and the Czech Republic. In both cases, the best beers are draught and their bottled versions are pale substitutes.
    It's no different in Germany Chuck. The best beers are on tap. In Germany many, many small towns have their own brewery, all of which make fantastic beer. I'm lucky in that I belong to two local German clubs where Spaten, Lowenbrau, Hofbrauhaus Munchen, etc. are all on tap. This is where I hang out on weekends. I prefer German beers (actually Munich beers) above all others.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guys I am in agreement that these are fine beers but our best micros can, often for less money, equal or exceed all these imports. Take e.g., Stoudt's of Pennsylvania. Their helles and dunkels have to be as good or better than those imports.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No doubt you are right, Gary, but the whole experience of drinking beer in Bohemia is one I've never duplicated elsewhere, even at most brewpubs. The only one I can think of that I would put in the same class is Breckenridge Brewery in Breckenridge, Colorado.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Take e.g., Stoudt's of Pennsylvania. Their helles and dunkels have to be as good or better than those imports.

Gary
    They're not IMO Gary and I live 5 miles from Stoudt's brewery and know Ed Stoudt personally (actually his wife runs the brewery). His brewing style purposely emulates the German style and he almost gets it right.
    Best Regards,
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I agree that consumed locally, the beers probably are hard to beat.

As imports though they would be pasteurised and submit to long shipment and storage times. I have found that I prefer the taste of a fresh micro beer to even a fine European beer that inevitably is different in export form than if locally consumed.

I suppose it is true no local beer can ever really emulate something made far away but sum total I think it often can be better, just my taste..

Gary