Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Best way to ship?

Help! I have a problem/question that I hope some member may help solve. What is the best way to ship alcohol (bourbon of course!) between private parties? A relative recently bought me some hard to find bottles and I need to ship them from Oregon to So. Cal. He checked with some of the shipping companies (UPS, USPS) and was told that they only ship alcohol from licensed dealers or wineries, not private parties. Has this happened to anybody else? How do I solve this and get my new treasures down here without doing the 18 hr drive to Oregon? Hope somebody can help out.
    Thanks all, --panzer

Re: Best way to ship?

I'll be flying to Oregon next week, I'd gladly bring you your bottles back with me. For a nominal fee. From what part of Oregon to what part of SoCal are we talking?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The reality is that, despite what UPS and the rest will tell you, a properly packed bottle usually can be shipped by common carrier without incident. You might have trouble making a claim should that become necessary, but that probably is the biggest risk.

It's really a "don't ask, don't tell" type of proposition.

Connoisseur

I've had stuff shipped by USPS and UPS all without incident.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru

I have had much better results (on the receiving end) with UPS. The post office sometimes is very rough on handling packages. All the problems I've had were from post office delivered packages, never from UPS. UPS is a much better venue IMHO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

I have had the best luck with UPS. Fed EX has disappointed me on several occasions.

bj

Guru

I sent out a box today via UPS. I've found that with both shipping and receiving UPS seems to have the better handling (much better than USPS). I've never had a problem shipping 'product' via UPS. They don't ask.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I've shipped with UPS and they have asked and I've told the truth. Didn't seem to be a problem.

Dawn

Enthusiast

I've only shipped bourbon a couple of times, but both went via UPS without incident. I listed the item as a "collectible bottle" and never encountered a question.

-Kurt

Connoisseur

Having everything packed and labeled before you bring it to the shipping office is probably your only option. I really don't see what entitles them to do this but I was told by a friend who used to work for UPS that if they found alcohol they kept it. He, personally, never got anything but his boss has been the unintentional recipient of several bottles of wine.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas