Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What Our Parents Drank.

Ken's post in the Kentucky Tavern thread gave me this idea. What did your parents drink when you were growing up? Please don't answer if they got drunk every night and beat you, but if your beverage alcohol example in the home was a positive one, share it here.

My parents drank Mattingly & Moore, the cheapest straight bourbon they could buy in control state Ohio. My parents believed that anything worth doing was worth doing exactly the same way every single day of your life. When my dad came home from work, mom would pour a bourbon on the rocks for each of them. Dad would have his at the table. Mom sometimes would sit but usually she was finishing making dinner. They would drink their drinks and talk about their days. We kids were usually in the next room watching old Three Stooges shorts.

Guru
    My parents did not drink hard liquor (my dad may have had one once in awhile). They were beer drinkers. They drank Rolling Rock. They drank LOTS of Rolling Rock. I was sadend to hear that Rolling Rock will no longer be made in Latrobe, PA. They sold out (I think to Busch) and are moving the operation to New Jersey. Heaven forbid. It will now probably glow in the dark. If my old man knew that, he'd roll over in his grave.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster
    My folks drank Evan Williams 7 YO, and for the most part still do.
    -Sam

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Beefeater gin and tonic or water, at parties. Some Canadian whisky was always around too, V.O. as I recall.

However at larger parties (and I've spoken about this here before) all drinks were served by family friend and bartender Wally. I used to talk to Wally (this is early 70's) about drinking. He didn't drink at all, didn't think it was good for bartenders to do that. All his spirits were "Schenley" because he worked for or somehow represented them. He was very proud of that, I'd say, "Wally what rye's the best?", he'd say, "O.F.C.". I'd say "yes but what about V.O., that's good too isn't it"? He'd say, "Don't bother with anything other than Schenley, it's the best".

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    My parents were not much drinkers of alcohol.......it was either Lone Star or Pearl beer when they wanted something (both made in San Antonio). But at my first wedding rehearsal dinner in 1980, my Dad bought a case of Old Fitz BIB. We went through several at the dinner. I still have a few from that case....they have lasted much longer than the marriage did. My ex, mother of my daughter, and I still share a drink of the Old Fitz from time to time.

My mother now likes margaritas...made with a good reposado....like Herradura.

Randy

Taster
    Parents drank a number of things. Jameson's was particularly popular with them when I was real young, then Tsing Tao Beer, the Gordon's Gin and tonic. Now mostly wine.

Guru
    My parents never drank in front of me. However, I'm pretty sure one or both did drink. (Is there any non-imbibing use for Mogen David? I saw empties in the trash more than once.)

Fast forward a decade. They drive 450 miles to visit my wife and me in our home for the first time. I open and drink a beer in conjunction with grilling hamburgers outdoors. The next morning, with only the feeblest of excuses, they arise earlier, pack and leave -- cutting short their planned visit by two days. My wife believes they were offended by my drinking, just as she and I know hers would be. I never discussed the incident with my parents.

As with so many things in my life the benefits of those experiences accrued to my son.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Advanced Taster
    Dad drank a lot. Mostly beer and bourbon. First bourbon I remember him drinking was Yellowstone (remember the cap on even the half pints was about the same size and shape as a shot glass?), mebbe Old Fitz on occaision, because he had a cousin that worked there. He always lit up like a Christmas tree around the Holidays if he got a bottle of Maker's as a gift. Turned to VOB, and it stayed that way for years. Nowadays, he might have a sip of Kentucky Gentleman.
    Beer (again starting from my earliest recollections) was Falls City, then Stroh's, then to Sterling. After Sterling, it was a mis-mash of beer of the month/cheap stuff. Milwaukee's Best was the latest.

Thanks for bringing this up. Brings back a lot of good memories, and some bad, but mostly good memories of my Pop.

Connoisseur
    My folks never drink, unless you count that beer and glass of white zin (ewww!) on New Years Eve. I don't know where I acquired my love for aged grain spirit.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple
    My folks are beer drinkers. Old Milwaukee when I was little. When they got a bit ahead on the mortgage they often drank Bud. These days they drink Bush Lite. I don't know why. The mortgage was paid off long ago.

There was sometimes a bottle of Mogen David Concord Grape wine at family gatherings. There would be some left with 20 or more adults drinking it. Later, when Americans started to appreciate better wines, the Mogen David disappeared. I kind of like it myself.

Nowadays Dad drinks wine fairly often. There was often a bottle of whiskey in the house, but one bottle would last for years on end. I couldn't tell you what kind for sure. Maybe Jim Beam White. I remember seeing Canadian Club, too.

Now there is a bottle of Knob Creek and a bottle of Evan William's SB that I left there last time I was home. At least I think it is...
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!