Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

We're Becoming Scotland

Whenever I do anything involving numbers, the margin of error is something like +/- 100%, but with that caveat, here goes.

Scotland is a small country. It does its best, but with a population of about 5 million, the Scots are doing pretty well to consume about 1 million cases of their own whiskey. The rest--about 80 million cases--they export.

The United States is a big country, almost 300 million of us. We drink about 14 million cases of our own whiskey and export about 13 million.

So that's the shocker here. With exports growing much faster than domestic consumption, it won't be long before the United States of America exports more of its own whiskey than it consumes.

Just like Scotland.

But, believe me, I know no one here is to blame. We're all drinking as much as we can.

Guru

Re: We're Becoming Scotland

And I suppose we're like the traditionalists in Scotland, trying our best to keep our own traditions alive while 95% of those around us don't give a rip.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ... With exports growing much faster than domestic consumption, it won't be long before the United States of America exports more of its own whiskey than it consumes....
    A sad state of affairs. I blame the Canadians and vodka and the popularity of kiddie coolers.

All joking aside, I think the "drinking culture" is changing. The masses are moving away from traditional beverages to-wards artificially flavored recreational ethanol.

Maybe I'm nostalgic for something I was born 50 years to late to have experienced but it is too bad modern "drinking culture" isn't like it is in a Bogart/Bacall movie.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    And I suppose we're like the traditionalists in Scotland, trying our best to keep our own traditions alive while 95% of those around us don't give a rip.

Tim
    HEY!!! ..... Kilt.jpg( )
    To paraphrase a Texas ice cream manufacturer …We drink all we can and sell the rest.
    Last edited by NeoTexan; 03-01-2007 at 03:17.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

But, believe me, I know no one here is to blame. We're all drinking as much as we can.
    I was going to say, "Hey, I know I am doing my part!" But then I remembered that I am in the export market....

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Nothing wrong with that. Scotland should be proud that the rest of the world thinks so much of their national spirit. I, myself, have an assortment of Scothes. But, I've been trying some bourbons and I now have two bottles.

GD

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I was going to say, "Hey, I know I am doing my part!" But then I remembered that I am in the export market....

Ed
    I guess I’m helping you to become “Scotland” as well even though I did a little domestic USA drinking in September.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Red face Re: We're Becoming Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTexan View Post
    HEY!!! ..... Kilt.jpg( )
    To paraphrase a Texas ice cream manufacturer …We drink all we can and sell the rest.
    Sorry. But, I certainly left room for anyone to be a part of the other 5% who do care.

Tim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Sorry. But, I certainly left room for anyone to be a part of the other 5% who do care.

Tim
    Really no offense taken .... just funnin' ya.

Us Scotsman need to have to be thick skinned, wearing a "skirt" and all.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Guru

Post Re: We're Becoming Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTexan View Post
    Really no offense taken .... just funnin' ya.

Us Scotsman need to have to be thick skinned, wearing a "skirt" and all.
    I think my family (my father's father's family) background is Scottish, too. I can't really come up with a strong clan identification, though, except a hint that we are "associated" with Clan Cunningham. I am interested, I just can't find a lot of solid information.

Tim