Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: Super Nikka Japanese blend

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    They do other things differently, too. I have been told, on the Whisky Magazine Forum, that some of the Malt in Nikka Pure Malt Black Label is aged in new charred oak barrels instead of the traditional used cooperage. I am planning to visit their Yoichi distillery this month. I will try to ask some questions.

Ed
    I did go and had a great time. I asked about the peat they use and was told that they used Hokkaido peat, specifically Ishikari peat. They did, way back when, use Scottish peat. I was surprised to learn that they use Scottish barley at Yoichi. Plenty of barley is grown here for the beer industry, so why don't they use native barley? Our tour guide didn't know.

She told us that refill bourbon and refill sherry wood was used in aging Yoichi Single Malt. What surprised me was that they use new charred American oak barrels, too. A number of different barrel sizes as well. I told her that in Scotland they never use new wood to age scotch which surprised her.

I want to go back next month. Our guide told us that the stills will be running then.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

Thanks for the info about Japanese peat. Useful information, indeed!

Wow. What I wouldn't do to go back to Japan. (I had to pour some of the Super Nikka now, just to get into the spirit!). I was there in '01 and spent most of my money on food, hot springs, youth hostels, and bullet train fare. At the time I was only drinking Scotch. I may've had some sake, but that was the extent of it. Now I know what I missed and left behind...

Ed, a bit off topic, but I happened to see another Japanese blend the other day. Was wondering if you've tried it or know anything about it. The bottle was Suntory Royal. It comes in a quite elegant decanter-like bottle, short with squared edges. I checked in Murray's book but only saw listings called Royal 12, and 15 (years). At the liquor store I didn't inspect the bottle closely enough, and saw no age statement on the front label. Could there also be a third version without an an age?

Cheers,
    Lear
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    Thanks for the info about Japanese peat. Useful information, indeed!

Ed, a bit off topic, but I happened to see another Japanese blend the other day. Was wondering if you've tried it or know anything about it. The bottle was Suntory Royal. It comes in a quite elegant decanter-like bottle, short with squared edges. I checked in Murray's book but only saw listings called Royal 12, and 15 (years). At the liquor store I didn't inspect the bottle closely enough, and saw no age statement on the front label. Could there also be a third version without an an age?

Cheers,
    Lear
    I have a bottle of the Suntory Royal 12. I don't remember drinking it but must have since the bottle is open. I haven't seen a no age statement version, at least I don't recall one. I will give it a try soon and seen what I think of it. My bottle has the age on the lable and a little plastic medalion with the age on it.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

Well I couldn't resist the opportunity to buy a Japanese malt otherwise unavailable here in the US. I picked up the Suntory Royal (no age statement) and am very pleased. It seems to be a balanced malt, very tasty like the Super Nikka but without any sherry influence. This seems to have a distant hint of peat as well. Overall nice daily dram type whiskey.

As I was researching more info about it I came across this video. A great, artistic commercial from Japan. The bottle appears to be exactly what I purchased.

Enjoy!
    -Lear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaa5uhJF3o
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I haven't had a lot of Japanese whiskey but my impression of what I have had is that it is a very clean spirit, with a definite malt whiskey quality, excellent balance, and mild without being bland.

It strikes me, in thinking about this, that one advantage American whiskey has in worldwide markets is its distinctiveness. Japanese whiskey as well as the whiskey made in Wales, France and a couple of other places all resemble scotch. American whiskey does not.

Enthusiast

Clean taste it is indeed! Leave it to the Japanese to produce a very refined product (think of how clean and simple Japanese cuisine is compared to Italian, for instance).
    -Ernest Tubb

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    Clean taste it is indeed! Leave it to the Japanese to produce a very refined product (think of how clean and simple Japanese cuisine is compared to Italian, for instance).
    Hi Lear, check your inbox for my PM.

Generally Japanese whiskies are very clean and pure tasting; however, if you ever have a chance to taste a Yoichi Single Cask whisky, you will be pleasantly surprised. I have found Yoichi cask strengh whiskies to be complex, sometimes very peaty, fat and heavy, with some bourbon qualities.

I believe this is the result of the use of new and refurbished barrels, onsite peat malting, and the coal heated pot stills with downward sloping arms.

My first bottle of Yoichi 10yr Single Cask tasted similar to a 13yr Laphroaig from Signatory I had (Dougdog can confirm this). After a year of being opened, the whisky realy changed. The peat dropped way off and it took on some strong bourbon qualities with intense cinnamon overtones.
    -TMH aka Tim3

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
    -Dean Martin