Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Pre-Dinner Bourbon

I have been drinking Basil Hayden's before dinner since it is nice and light. However, I really do not like the $40 price tag. Can anyone recommend a nice light bourbon for before dinner that is not to sweet? I drink Makers Mark the rest of the time. I find it a little to sweet for before dinner.

Administrator in exile

Re: Pre-Dinner Bourbon

Since you like Basil Hayden's, try Old Grand Dad 86 proof, or the 100 proof and add a touch of water.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Though it's not bourbon I think Saz Jr. makes a good before dinner dram. alternately a well made Manhattan is always welcome as a pre-dinner cocktail.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
    I have been drinking Basil Hayden's before dinner since it is nice and light. However, I really do not like the $40 price tag. Can anyone recommend a nice light bourbon for before dinner that is not to sweet? I drink Makers Mark the rest of the time. I find it a little to sweet for before dinner.
    IMHO you have just named 2 of the "lighter" bourbons that exist. I would be hard pressed to come up with anything that "light' that compares. I haven't had Basil Hayden in a while but isn't that "sweet" for a bourbon? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Enthusiast

How about W.L. Weller Special Reserve? I find it less sweet than Maker's, but it's definitely a light, drinkable bourbon - and at ~$13 / bottle, it won't break the bank.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
    How about W.L. Weller Special Reserve? I find it less sweet than Maker's, but it's definitely a light, drinkable bourbon - and at ~$13 / bottle, it won't break the bank.

Good choice, I always recommend W. L. Weller Special Reserve to bourbon postulants as a great starting point. Nice flavor, an easy drink, and easy on the billfold. Most have never heard of it, therefore it's exotic.

Enthusiast

The pre-1998 (or so) Old Crow from Jim Beam was a wonderful, light but complex bourbon. Nothing at all like the previous, richer Old Crow that they inherited from National Distillers, but very nice nonetheless. I loved it neat or on the rocks before dinner. Really nice spice, sweet, and almost delicate. And it was only $6.35/750 ml. I am not aware of any bourbon like it today.

And then in they reduced it to a three-year-old, which is simply not in the same class. Feinty and young, where the old one was fully matured.

Jim Murray says that recent bottlings have improved, but it's still only three-years-old, and he gives it a 79. Way below what the old one would have been, I would guess, had he been giving numeric scores earlier.

Fortunately, I have a 750 ml and a 200 ml in my bunker.

I think there is a real place for such a bourbon. I wish one were still available.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Novice

I just called my local spirits store and they are selling WL Weller Special Reserve for $21.00

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
    I just called my local spirits store and they are selling WL Weller Special Reserve for $21.00
    This is high. It's $16.98 in MI, a high priced control state.