Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 3/07: Old Pogue

The brands of bourbon we enjoy today seem to have been around forever. Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, etc. But do you ever stop and think about the hundreds or thousands of brands that died out over the years? Many succumbed to the hardships of prohibition or to declining sales of brown spirits that haunted the industry for decades. What would it be like if there were hundreds of bourbon distilleries still in operation?

Well, we can't go back in time, but it is refreshing when someone cares enough to bring a brand back from antiquity, give it new life, and allow bourbon connoisseurs to enjoy a new choice. That's exactly what the Pogue family has done. The fourth and fifth generations of Pogues have resurrected the old family brand that died during prohibition.

Peter, Paul and Jack Pogue have been nice enough to join Straightbourbon.com at the Gazebo during the festival, to share their good fortunes with us. Peter is an active member of our forums. We appreciate the kindness that the Pogues have shown Straightbourbon.com, and we wish them continued success in their endeavors.

Let's hear what you think of Old Pogue!

Sounf off
    Last edited by jeff; 03-05-2007 at 08:13.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Re: BOTM, 3/07: Old Pogue

Another one we don't have down here, but it's on my next Binny's shopping list, I should have it while it is still BOTM.
    One I have been wanting to try for a while!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

It's been a while since I've had it but I have pleasant memories. Thanks for giving me the "excuse" to revisit an old friend.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Apprentice

I'm not crazy about Old Pogue. There is an unpleasant aftertaste that I couldn't get over.

Guru

While Pogue is not a "favorite" pour, it's definately one that I go to often enough. I picked up a bottle at Toddy's last Sept. and have about 1/2 bottle left. I'll have to pull it out and have a pour this evening.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

I find nothing off-putting in Old Pogue, but at $40 plus tax a bottle, I expect something better than 'inoffensive'.
    It's not terribly complex -- mostly roasted sweet corn in the husk on the nose, with a bit of sandalwood alongside, with a palate emphasizing the corn husks. The corn and some slight maple undertones might understandably remind some of George Dickel (okay, I like Dickel, too -- but it's under $15!).
    I, too, appreciate the Pogues' connection to their own history and their genial sharing of their wares with us at Bardstown, and other, gatherings. I also understand the economic difficulty in offering an inexpensive non-distiller bottling. Still, I probably won't buy it very often.
    Tim

Enthusiast

I've had a single bottle of Old Pogue, I'm slowly going through it.

I like Old Pogue - it tastes different. I'd describe it as having a grassiness, even a lemony-ness, to the first "hit" of the alcohol, and then a short, dry finish. The Auchentoshen of bourbons, perhaps? But this is only an occasional taste for me, so the bottle pours slow. Give me a long, fruity finish most of the time - this is the opposite take. The Warne Marsh of bourbons.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

For those of you in the Indpls area, you can taste it with Peter Pogue on Friday 3/16/07 at United Pkg Liquors at Keystone and Union Chapel Rd. 7-9pm.

Dawn

Disciple

Does anybody how know what’s actually inside the bottle want to chare some information?

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

I like Old Pogue just fine. It has a nice sweetness and restrained rye spice, with just a touch of warming finish that are satisfying and especially accessible to those new to drinking bourbon neat. That said, the bottle I have will last me for some time.

Except for profile selection to get those soothing characteristics, I guess it is actually similar to buying something between EWSB and EC12 in proof and age - but what a difference the barrel selection can make!

As the Pogue's have middle men to pay and no economy of scale like the big boys, you pay quite a bit more than if Heaven Hill had chosen to market a product with this profile - but HH didn't, and Pogue did, and I'm glad that Pogue has made it possible for more variety to come from the HH rickhouses than would have otherwise happened.

In this thread we learn that HH has had roughly 1/2 of the world's supply of bourbon that is 8+ years old. I for one am glad that more of the distinct profiles held within 1/2 of the world's well-aged whiskey can be made available to the public than the brands that HH markets under their own name(s) and distribution network.

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    Does anybody how know what’s actually inside the bottle want to chare some information?

Leif
    You participated in the thread where this was discussed about 3 months ago, here , in posts 12 and 17 through 29. You posted #24.