Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Goin' to Florida...

Hello all - Can I get any bourbons in Florida that I can't get in Illinois? I'll be there next week for about 6 days and I want someone to say I can get Four Roses there! Even if that's not possible is there anything available there that isn't here? Thanks!

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Re: Goin' to Florida...

Easy answer. No. Right now the Four Roses SB and Sm Batch are only available in KY. You have a much better bourbon selection in IL than I've ever seen in FL

Dawn

Advanced Taster

Where in Florida, if you don't mind me asking? It really depends on the market you visiting. The larger the market, or the more affluent area, the better chances you will have more selection or of spotting a hard-to-find bottling, or a top shelf brand. I frequent Destin in the panhandle where property values (and property taxes! ) are relatively high. The selection there is fair, as I've seen a variety of bourbons that are not available in Alabama or Georgia (excluding Atlanta--the selection there is much better). I've been able to find PVW in very limited supply, but no Maple Hill, probably because, as pointed out above, some bourbons distributions are merely regional.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Taster

Beer warning!!! alcohol content is 3.2%. when sitting on the beach its just like drinking water. if you are drving though alabama dont stop for bourbon, very limited selection. but do buy beer if you drink it.
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    ..if you are driving though alabama dont stop for bourbon, very limited selection. but do buy beer if you drink it.
    I just assumed he's flying or else he'd, well, just stop in Kentucky and buy whatever he wanted.
    If you're driving, Mike -- stop in Kentucky!
    Tim

Advanced Taster

I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but you can get Conecuh Ridge in north Florida. I picked up a bottle last year in Pensacola but haven't opened it yet.

Taster

I was just trying to be optimistic. I guess next time I better drive. Thanks to all!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's worth going into a large liquor store just to see how it is different. You probably will see something you don't see in Chicago, at least not routinely. You'll see a lot of Heaven Hill's brands, with generous shelf space, and Luxco and Sazerac, and just more American whiskey in general than what you see up here. You'll see who's buying all the Henry McKenna, Fighting Cock, Cabin Still, Rebel Yell, George Dickel and Old Charter.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I've looked around several parts of Florida, and yes, there isn't much of the regular stuff that you can't find in Illinois. But, I have seen several of the "dusty bottle" variety finds there, if you're into that sort of thing. As always, look for the crappy, old package store in a seedy part of town. Preferrably with neon lights. Scout the parking lot for potential unfriendlies and a close to the door parking spot. Exit your car with authority and move in quickly, giving it that Richard Pryor "we bad" walk. Go directly to bourbon aisle, and peruse quickly. Don't look right in front of you. The dusties will be low or high on the shelf, and probably behind something else. Remember, you should be in and out in 90 seconds. If you find something(s), pick up and go directly to counter. Don't get too greedy. I mean, time is not your ally. Don't give the bad guys time to group. Plus, it doesn't hurt to save a few dusties for the next team we send in. Always, pay in cash. Grab bag with goods, go directly to car looking satisfied, and not hurried. If you pass someone going out, keep head up, and make eye contact. Project that you're the "man on a mission". Get in car, back out without hitting anything. You don't want that kind of delay here. Quickly exit parking lot. Begin breathing again. At this point, it's OK to finger your new finds and ask yourself the question: "Why the F@%&! did I just do that?"

Cheers!

JOE

Advanced Taster

Great answer and technique, Joe. I've also found that looking the part (unshaven and dressed down) and bringing a wingman helps--there is strength in numbers. Going into an ill-kept liquor store solo, clean shaven and in a lavender Brooks Brothers polo shirt is not a good idea, unless you enjoy overwhelming popularity among the filthy and wretched locals.

Is it me, or is there a lack of consensus of what bourbonites here consider what "is generally available," and what is "a dusty"?
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.